Free Pascal for 32bit or delphi for 64bit

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

VSB

Free Pascal for 32bit or delphi for 64bit

Post by *VSB »

2ghisler(Author)
As I know, currently FPC/Lazarus is only used for 64bit version and 32bit still compiles with some very old Delphi.
Why you don't you use same toolset for both of them?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Because EXE is two times bigger with Lazarus. :D
VSB

Post by *VSB »

But different compilers requires different hacks in code, while same compiler requires only little of them in part where 32/64 behavior intended different.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

You need FPC/Lazarus to have support for x64, because the ancient Delphi 2 does not know what that is.
On the other hand you need Delphi 2 to support the ancient platforms the TC still supports, because FPC/Lazarus already ditched them.
Of course, there are also several less relevant reasons, like MVV already noted.

Plus, rewriting an already working code to a different framework is an investment, that has its costs and risks. And not everyone is willing to do such investment.

[rant]
I'm more surprised, that the TC x64 is following the same road as the original TC x32. The TC x32 is currently "unportable" to the modern Delphi, because it used the same compiler for too many years, ignoring gradual changes in the official Delphi compiler and adding custom hacks instead. I'm not saying there weren't good reasons to do it back then. But when this happens and the original compiler cannot be used for some reason anymore, it's often cheaper to just rewrite the software from scratch or stop developing it completely. Luckily, we are not there yet.

But it looks like TC 9.0a x64 is still being compiled with the same customized compiler that was used for the first x64 release 5 years ago. That's why I fear TC x64 might end up in the same state as TC x32.
[/rant]
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64