Everything only search not updated if source is not filled

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Everything only search not updated if source is not filled

Post by *nsp »

If I enter an Everything only search using the ev: prefix, the search in field is useless and should no be mandatory.
If i switch from a filled listbox, this field is empty and i cannot get any new result before putting at least one char in the Shearch In field.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

If I enter an Everything only search using the ev: prefix, the search in field is useless
TC help wrote:New: Put "ed:" in front of the search string: Like "ev:", but search only in the directories specified in the "Search in" field. Also handles "Search subdirectories" option. This is handled by prefixing path:c:\path and optionally parents:<nr to the entered search string.
#5767 Personal license
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Everything only search not updated if source is not fill

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

@sqa_wizard,
did you also read the second sentence nsp wrote there above? ;-)

The point of nsp's post was not lamenting about the "Search in" field not being useful for 'everything' search, but rather that TC is seemingly demanding from him to enter something into this field for any second 'everything' search he wants to do... (that's how i understand his post)
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

TC is seemingly demanding from him to enter something into this field for any second 'everything' search he wants to do...
Well, but the "Search in" field is not mandatory at all! I can leave it blank without any problem ...
#5767 Personal license
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

sqa_wizard wrote:
TC is seemingly demanding from him to enter something into this field for any second 'everything' search he wants to do...
Well, but the "Search in" field is not mandatory at all! I can leave it blank without any problem ...
Um... why do you say that to me? I do not have this problem. It is nsp's problem. I can't tell whether it would be a a bug in TC or simply a user error since i don't use "Everything". But it was quite obvious that your first post was based on a misunderstanding of nsp's problem description.

Since you seem to be a user of "Everything", did you try making a second ev: search after executing the first one?
If i interpret nsp's problem description correctly, he didn't have an issue with his first ev: search but the problem only occurred with a second ev: search ("... get any new result ...").
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

I did a search with "ev:*.cmd" and another one with "ev:*.bat" letting "Search in" field blank.
No problems so far ....
#5767 Personal license
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

There was Never a Need to fill the search in field for using the ev: search
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

Horst.Epp wrote:There was Never a Need to fill the search in field for using the ev: search
I have this issue when i switch from a filed listbox to a new search. The search result remain the same until i enter at least a char in shearch in field.
If i search for ctags.exe using ev: wfn:ctags.exe i click on feed to listbox. and then from the filled listbox i do a new search, the result remain as the previous one.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

nsp wrote:
Horst.Epp wrote:There was Never a Need to fill the search in field for using the ev: search
I have this issue when i switch from a filed listbox to a new search. The search result remain the same until i enter at least a char in shearch in field.
If i search for ctags.exe using ev: wfn:ctags.exe i click on feed to listbox. and then from the filled listbox i do a new search, the result remain as the previous one.
Confirmed but only if I use Alt-F7 shortcut.
Normally I use buttons with Loadsearch or cm_SearchFor
and there is no such problem in this cases.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

Horst.Epp wrote:...
Confirmed but only if I use Alt-F7 shortcut.
Normally I use buttons with Loadsearch or cm_SearchFor
and there is no such problem in this cases.
cm_searchFor on the command line on the filled "Search Results" tab gives me the same behavior. The cm_searchStandalone does not have the same issue but the search from selected files is ticked even if no files are selected and latest search is not populated.