refresh button does not work anymore

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MWeisi

refresh button does not work anymore

Post by *MWeisi »

Hallo,
since a few days the green refresh button, to refresh the directory to see all the new files, does not work anymore. I am pretty sure to not have changed any settings. I am working with TC Version 2.72.
Samsung Tablet. Andrroid 6.0.1
Someone any idea?

Great and useful app, thanks!
Michael
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for your report. Do you see the change when you go somewhere else and back?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MWeisi

Post by *MWeisi »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Thanks for your report. Do you see the change when you go somewhere else and back?
Yes I do, when I quit the directory and return, then I find the new file.
On my second tablet, using Android 5.1.1. the refresh button works without problems. So, is it a problem with TM running on Android 6.0.1?
Thanks for your inquiry and assistance.
MWeisi

Post by *MWeisi »

MWeisi wrote:
ghisler(Author) wrote:Thanks for your report. Do you see the change when you go somewhere else and back?
Yes I do, when I quit the directory and return, then I find the new file.
On my second tablet, using Android 5.1.1. the refresh button works without problems. So, is it a problem with TM running on Android 6.0.1?
Thanks for your inquiry and assistance.
I have still some new information: it's crazy: the problem seems to exist only for the specific directory "emulated/0/Download" on my tablet. The other directories, as fare as I tried them, seem to react normaly, so that, when I press the refresh-button, the directory will be refreshed and the new file will be shown. I have no explanation for that. I don't find any specific differences between the directories. Even the directory "Download" on the SDCard reacts normaly. To me it's a mystery.
MWeisi

Post by *MWeisi »

So, here is some - I hope - additional and helpful information:
I wondered, if it could be a difference, if the directory is full or empty. And this is the result: if I empty the directory to 10 items (the rest ist moved to an subdirectory named "test"), the refresh-button works again. I don't know, what's the critical number of entries to cause the dysfunction or - another idea - there might have been a specific entry in my download directory which caused the dysfunction by a specific structure of name or something like that.

First now, I'm glad, that the refresh-function works again with my download directory. I will observe this issue and will tell about, if I find something interesting.

As fare, as I can say in a first test, the critical number is 68 files in the directory. It does not seem to be a specific file which causes the probleme.

Greetings!
Andreas25

Re: refresh button does not work anymore

Post by *Andreas25 »

Thank you MWeisi for your work in finding the cause of the error :-). 3 years later I have the same problem. My phone is a Samsung S10e with Android 10. I use TC 3.0b16.

Apparently it depends on whether a scrollbar appears or not. On my device, the limit is 34/35 files. If the scrollbar is to the right of the refresh button, tapping on it has no effect. But if I then click on a spot in the middle between the home button and the refresh button, the refresh works.

A refresh button in the lower toolbar with command 118 (as suggested in another request) always works, so I have a workaround.

I can't remember what the behaviour was like in the short time with Android 9 before the update to 10.
TC 10.5x on Win 10
TCA Beta on Android 12 (Samsung S10e) and Android 11 (Samsung Tab S5e)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually I have an S10e myself, and the refresh button does work! I just tried with a folder containing 300 files. Just tap on it a bit more to the left of the icon. If you tap too far to the right, it will indeed trigger the scroller.
Andreas25

Post by *Andreas25 »

Prima - ich verfahre so. Mit ein bisschen Übung klappt es tatsächlich ganz gut, die Stelle zwischen den Icons zu treffen.
Vielen Dank, Andreas
---
Nur eine spontane Idee :D :
Wäre es eigentlich denkbar, den Scrollbalken unterhalb der Zeile mit den Symbolen enden zu lassen, und die Symbolezeile beim Scrollen stehen zu lassen?
TC 10.5x on Win 10
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wäre es eigentlich denkbar, den Scrollbalken unterhalb der Zeile mit den Symbolen enden zu lassen
Leider nein, der Scrollbar ist Teil der Android-Listbox, und das Refresh-Icon befindet sich innerhalb dieser Listbox. Ich müsste die beiden Icons oberhalb der Listbox anzeigen, das würde aber eine ganze Zeile vom ohnehin knappen Bildschirmplatz abschneiden. :(
Andreas25

Post by *Andreas25 »

Vielen Dank! Das kann ich gut nachvollziehen. :-).
TC 10.5x on Win 10