the second search is super fast whereas the 1rst one is slow

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Michael REMY

the second search is super fast whereas the 1rst one is slow

Post by *Michael REMY »

hi,

i have a folder with a tone of files and folders and subfolders... (>5000)

i use TC to make search from file name string.

i discover the second search is very quick (only in less than a second) whereas the first one takes 10s (or more) to browse all the folder structure (i can see the names displayed in rolling in the status bar of the tc dialog box search).

is this speed of the 2nd search due to TC (which could store the data in memory and re-use it) or due to Win7 (which could cache the file system browsed by the query)

have a good day
i'm an old long user of TC since the windows 3.11 release !, for the history, i came to tc when i migrate from amiga commodore to PC where they are diskmanager and directory opus there.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

AFAIK TC doesn't cache any search information so such speedup may only happen because of Windows file cache, but it should only be noticeable in case of small ammount of large files, not in case of huge ammount of files (though perhaps contents of directories or corresponding sectors may also be cached)...
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

It's the Windows File Cache that provides the increase in speed. The same can be observed with any other software and even starting programs. Launch some fat software, close it and start it again - the second and subsequent launches are much faster than the first one because the system doesn't read the data from the mass storage again but from Windows File Cache in RAM.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror