TC will not change FTP password

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

HeRo

TC will not change FTP password

Post by *HeRo »

Hi

I believe this is a bug:

I have a website on a webhosting service, which I access through FTP. To enhance security, I changed the FTP password in the control panel of the webhotel. Then of course TC FTP could not logon. But no matter how many times a changed the password in TC, TC continued to use the old password. I could see that because they are of different lengths. So I couldn't FTP-access my web server with TC until I reconfigured the webserver to use the old password...

I use TC 9.0a (x64) on Windows 10 64-bit.

Best regards,
Henrik R.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Where is your wcx_ftp.ini located? Somewhere you can write to it? Check the location in Help > About Total Commander.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
HeRo

Post by *HeRo »

Dalai wrote:Where is your wcx_ftp.ini located? Somewhere you can write to it? Check the location in Help > About Total Commander.
Yes. I have found it.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

HeRo wrote:Yes. I have found it.
And? Can you write to it?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
HeRo

Post by *HeRo »

Dalai wrote:And? Can you write to it?
Yes. I can edit and save it.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Please try to change password in elevated TC instance (start TC via Run as Administrator context menu item)...
HeRo

Post by *HeRo »

MVV wrote:Please try to change password in elevated TC instance (start TC via Run as Administrator context menu item)...
Yes. That seems to work. When I change the FTP-password I can't logon, and when I change it back again, I can logon again.
The only peculiarity is that the window that shows the logon-process seems to show that the password has the same (short) length, although I change to a longer password.
So thank you! But it would be nice if TC alerted me saying: "You have to run as Admin to change password!"
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You don't have to start TC as admin to change FTP password, you just have configuration files in program folders that may only be written by administrators (or elevated users)... Or maybe only one of them.

Try to edit and save both wincmd.ini and wcx_ftp.ini to check it.

Where are your config files located? Under Program Files? In TC directory? In user profile?
HeRo

Post by *HeRo »

MVV wrote:You don't have to start TC as admin to change FTP password, you just have configuration files in program folders that may only be written by administrators (or elevated users)... Or maybe only one of them.

Try to edit and save both wincmd.ini and wcx_ftp.ini to check it.

Where are your config files located? Under Program Files? In TC directory? In user profile?
They are both in same folder, and I can edit and save wincmd.ini (with my text editor) too. The folder is:
C:\Users\Henrik\AppData\Roaming\GHISLER
(I guess that's where TC put them.)
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

HeRo wrote:The folder is:
Is that the same as shown at "Check the location in Help > About Total Commander. " ?

HeRo

Post by *HeRo »

Stefan2 wrote:
HeRo wrote:The folder is:
Is that the same as shown at "Check the location in Help > About Total Commander. " ? 
Yes.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

So,

you have TC 9.0a (x64) on Windows 10 64-bit.

The Info from "Help > About Total Commander" is "C:\Users\Henrik\AppData\Roaming\GHISLER".

There you have found both wincmd.ini and wcx_ftp.ini
and you have write access to them and had already modifies them successfully.

But you can change the FTP password in elevated TC instance ONLY?

Seems to me your NTFS file permissions are messed up, and you run your Text editor with elevated rights also?

Normally, the user with not-elevated rights should have write access to that folder, and non-elevated TC should be able to modify his config files.

BTW: the writing of the TC settings to wincmd.ini works without elevated admin access for you?

Odd, that doesn't fit together at all.

:cry:

HeRo

Post by *HeRo »

Stefan2 wrote:So,

you have TC 9.0a (x64) on Windows 10 64-bit.

The Info from "Help > About Total Commander" is "C:\Users\Henrik\AppData\Roaming\GHISLER".

There you have found both wincmd.ini and wcx_ftp.ini
and you have write access to them and had already modifies them successfully.

But you can change the FTP password in elevated TC instance ONLY?

Seems to me your NTFS file permissions are messed up, and you run your Text editor with elevated rights also?

Normally, the user with not-elevated rights should have write access to that folder, and non-elevated TC should be able to modify his config files.

BTW: the writing of the TC settings to wincmd.ini works without elevated admin access for you?

Odd, that doesn't fit together at all.

:cry:

Yes,yes,yes...
But I don't have any idea about whether my NTFS file permissions are messed up.
And I don't know if my EmEditor has elevated rights. I used it to test editing and saving of both ini-files.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Well, let's stop changing passwords, are you able to add a new FTP connection or e.g. change title/username of existing one? Create a new folder in FTP connections list? All these things should be possible just as changing password...
HeRo

Post by *HeRo »

MVV wrote:Well, let's stop changing passwords, are you able to add a new FTP connection or e.g. change title/username of existing one? Create a new folder in FTP connections list? All these things should be possible just as changing password...
I created a new FTP-account without problems when I was trying to change password.