Disable ClearType / anti-aliasing only Total Commander

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mba

Disable ClearType / anti-aliasing only Total Commander

Post by *mba »

On Windows you can't disable font smoothing for each individual application. You can enable or disable it only system-wide. Some applications look good with ClearType, some don't. I prefer Tahoma or MS Sans Serif fonts in Total Commander unsmoothed. It looks good, convenient and easily readable. Enabling font smoothing makes it look a bit chaotic.

I'm aware of Delphi's TFont.Quality property which determines how the font on a label or anywhere on the screen is rendered. If it's set to fqNonAntialiased, it should not be anti-aliased.

As well as letting the user choose even dialog fonts, it would be a good idea to enable-disable font smoothing. It won't even be hard to implement, I think.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

And you know that TC x64 is no longer coded in Delphi ?
Also I don't see strange display in TC with Clear Type enabled.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
mba

Post by *mba »

If you refer to Total Commander x64 being compiled with Lazarus/FPC, the property exists there as well.

Well, you could say "I don't see strange display in TC with the system font" or "I don't see strange display in TC with system colors". Still you do have the option to change the font as well as the colors, to your preference.

You don't see strange display but I do. I prefer Tahoma with mono/bitmap "smoothing" which only rendered when ClearType disabled system-wide. It was a big mistake that Microsoft made ClearType rendering system-wide and did not introduce an option to disable it on a per-application basis. For example, Google Chrome renders much smoother fonts (via DirectWrite) when ClearType is enabled. Some applications just look ugly with ClearType.

So this would be a configuration option. A really good one to have. An option in the font customization dialog in Options.
mba

Post by *mba »

I was curious and created a sample application in Lazarus. Now it is confirmed that this is possible under Windows 7 with ClearType enabled.

Image: http://loller.hu/allyouneed.png
Font: Tahoma (TrueType)

All you need to do is set the Quality property of the font to fqNonAntialiased. At small font sizes, around 8-10 pt, non-smoothed fonts can give a much crisper and more readable look.

Unfortunately Windows won't let us configure font rendering on a per-application basis. This is why it would be great to have this in Total Commander at the Configuration -> Options... -> Fonts pane.
deckard

Post by *deckard »

Just wanted to say that I agree: TC looks blurry to me with ClearType enabled. I always disable it for TC to look better.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I always disable it for TC to look better
I always disable it for make everything look better - unfortunately Microsoft forces it down your throat for many of their own applications, despite disabeling it on system level - grrrr.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Amitabha613

Post by *Amitabha613 »

I've encountered the very same problem a while ago.
I prefer Tahoma or MS Sans Serif fonts in Total Commander unsmoothed. It looks good, convenient and easily readable. Enabling font smoothing makes it look a bit chaotic.
I use Droid Sans Mono font - perfect match for TC, imho. However, it looks significantly different with ClearType on and off.

Have a look at this:

ClearType is off, looks perfect:

http://shiva.myjino.ru/public/_pics/TC_ClearType_off_ok.png

ClearType is on - obvious degrading in readability:

http://shiva.myjino.ru/public/_pics/TC_ClearType_on.png
Unfortunately Windows won't let us configure font rendering on a per-application basis. This is why it would be great to have this in Total Commander at the Configuration -> Options... -> Fonts pane.
Definitely. Please please please consider implementing this option to tweak font antialiasing in TC.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Amitabha613
It is already implemented since TC 9.10:
FontQuality=0 Let the user set the font quality, e.g. to enabled antialiasing or Cleartype even when it's disabled globally in Windows.
0:DEFAULT (as configured system-wide),
3:NONANTIALIASED,
4:ANTIALIASED,
5:CLEARTYPE,
6:CLEARTYPE_NATURAL
So use: FontQuality=3 to disable Font Smoothing.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Amitabha613

Post by *Amitabha613 »

Thanks a lot!

Lesson - pay more attention to the release notes. Many thanks to Mr Ghisler for implementing this feature.