Command w/ parameters to change FontCharset in panel

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Command w/ parameters to change FontCharset in panel

Post by *DrShark »

Now that AutoSwitch allows to execute command when TC enters certain path, I'd like to return to my suggestion from 2008 that I asked via email.

The suggestion was to allow to change FontCharset to some value and then back to default for certain archives, because TC can show correctly cyrillic names in CAB archives made by PowerArchiver 6.x only with FontCharset=255 in wincmd.ini.

Now with AutoSwitch and new command(s) to change font charset for panel(s), it woluld be possible to have archive opened in TC with its filenames shown in certain encoding. Since FontCharset is a global setting, similar parameter could be added to wincmd.ini for AutoSwitch purpose.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This would be useful also for other archive types - but I don't see a way to present this to the user in the current user interface. Any ideas?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote:This would be useful also for other archive types - but I don't see a way to present this to the user in the current user interface. Any ideas?
I actually thought of command like SRCUSECHARSET to change font charset for current panel (with parameters it would be like SRCUSECHARSET 255), so the command could be used on View Mode configuration page (Auto-run commands). But interface solution is easy: checkbox "Apply font charset for panel file list" with input field for a number. Checkbox colud be placed either on View Mode configuration page, or Auto Switch one. Or even no checkbox, just a field with ediitable default value. I think it may be also useful for FTP, not only archives, so there is no reason to limit this option to archives only.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Command w/ parameters to change FontCharset in panel

Post by *DrShark »

In addition above suggestion for a new command to change names encoding (so at least advanced users could use it,) I suggest a new UI solution:
in columns context menu (where it's possible to change default and column column views), add a menu with a name like "File name encoding", and submenus "Show encoding" and "Change encoding". "Show encoding" will make current encoding name appear near Name word of a "Name" column, so it will be named "Name (encoding name)". "Name" column is always visible, so for user it will be easy to use this feature.