TC license for virtual machines

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

KWo

TC license for virtual machines

Post by *KWo »

The company I'm working for has bought the multi-user-license for TC. I'm one of these users using the license key for TC. On my host laptop based on Windows 7 Pro I have installed TC. I have installed VMWare Workstation on it. Theoretically I'm able to run 4 Virtual Machines on my laptop at the same time (all Windows based). I'm the only user of my laptop and virtual machines they are running on it. The question is - do I'need for each virtual machine to buy a separate license key or I'm allowed to use the same license key I have for my host laptop PC? There is a possibility I'll be using TC on all 4 virtual machines and host at the same time (i.e. on one VM I'll be packing something on another copying etc.). Of course all other users in my company they belong to that multi-user license may use the license key still at the same time. Another question - in such situation with Virtual Machines - is there any difference for license's meaning for using the single license for host and virtual machines running on it and multi-user license?
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

License: as many computers as desired used by one person onl

Post by *Stefan2 »

Hi and welcome.

Please read there > http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=323192#323192

From the help file, section 2c:
Registered version (personal licence)

The registered version may be installed on as many computers as desired, as long as it is used by only one person at any one time (I.e. one installation at home and one at the office used by the same person). Therefore you need only one licence for a port connection between two computers. The usage by multiple people at the same time (on multiple computers) requires additional licences.

HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Or this:
http://www.ghisler.com/efaqorder.htm#numlic wrote:Q: How do I calculate the number of licences I need?
A: We define the number of licences you need like this: No more users than the licence gives the right to may run the program at the same time. In other words: You must try to estimate the average number of users who use Total Commander at the same time. So there may be no need to buy licences for all computers on which you install Total Commander.
Or:
F1 -> General information -> Licence wrote:Additional licences (multi-user licences)

Additional licences allow an institution, company or school to install the program on multiple computers and/or servers. Each licence allows one person at the same time to use the program on an unlimited number of computers.
Regards
Holger
KWo

Post by *KWo »

I was reading the license description in English and in Polish (on Polish official TC site). For some reason in the polish description there are some stronger notes than in the english one. They wrote I'm allowed to use my license key on more than just 1 computer, but they have added an extra condition - I'm not allowed to run TC with my license key on more than 1 PC simultaneously. This extra condition I cannot see in English license description. This is the origin of my question from the first post. So - instead quoting me this what I'was already reading, please answer me exactly to my question - I'm allowed or not to run TC on my host PC and virtual machines simultaneously with the same license key? In such situation - if I want to run TC on more than 1 PC simultaneously do I need to buy separate license keys for each of my virtual PC or not? Sorry for asking about something maybe completly clear for others.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The Polish translation is outdated - we changed this a long time ago to allow PC to PC direct connections with just one license, but it's not limited to that.
In such situation - if I want to run TC on more than 1 PC simultaneously do I need to buy separate license keys for each of my virtual PC or not?
No, a single license is sufficient.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
KWo

Post by *KWo »

Thank You for the answer to the main question.
The second question was this: In the above situation with virtual machines - is there a difference with license limitation's meaning if I'm using a personal license or a multi-user license key (for the company)? I mean - am I still allowed to use only one license key (no matter if it's a personal or multi-user license - for the company - for commercial purpose) if I want to run TC simultaneously on my host PC and virtual machines (running on that host)?

Another question - is there any possibility that there can be some local law's a stronger limitation (European Union's or Polish one) to somehow prevent to run the software (i.e. TC) on more machines simultaneously by the same user - even if the author of this software in his license description says it's allowed to do so?

The last question - which license limitations are really valid for me - these ones You had when I was buying the software long time ago (from the bying time) or the last one - if I'm allowed to use the last version of the software (which comes with new license description and limitations)?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

is there a difference with license limitation's meaning if I'm using a personal license or a multi-user license key (for the company)?
No, there isn't any difference.
is there any possibility that there can be some local law's a stronger limitation (European Union's or Polish one) to somehow prevent to run the software (i.e. TC) on more machines simultaneously by the same user
No, in copyright law, the laws regulate the minimum the user is allowed to do. This doesn't prevent companies from giving you more rights.
which license limitations are really valid for me - these ones You had when I was buying the software long time ago (from the bying time) or the last one
Since you never actually signed any agreement or clicked on "I agree", you are free to choose the most liberal version: local laws, if they give you more rights than our license, or any of our licenses.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com