Buttonbar button: start path for VBS file

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Buttonbar button: start path for VBS file

Post by *DrShark »

There is a different behaviour with autosetting of start path for .vbs file as a command in a button when new button is added and when existing one is being edited.

When adding a VBS script file from custum location to button bar as a new button (for example using Shift+Drag of the vbs file to a button bar), the start path is auto set to vbs file location.
However, the insert a vbs to existing button using "Change >>"->"Insert file name ..." makes Start path field pointing to system32 folder (in my case C:\Windows\System32\).

TC 9.0a, Vista 32bit.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It could be because the associated program is located in System32. For now I will not change it because it could have some unexpected side effects.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

@ghisler,
"Change" -> "Insert file name..." does not choose the folder of the associated program as start path. It chooses the folder in which the file containing the icon of the respective file type (in this case .vbs) is located.

If using a custom icon , "Change" -> "Insert file name..." will change the start path to the folder where that icon is located. Note that icon location and location of associated program are not necessarily the same.

Look at this screenshot to get an impression of what i mean, showing the dialog after doing "Change" -> "Insert file name...": http://imgur.com/a/9NShL

(Note that the file in question is a .txt file, which is associated with Windows Notepad. For the test, i assigned a custom file icon to the .txt file type. Note that the start path in the screenshot is the folder of the icon file, and NOT the folder of Notepad.exe.)

The behavior as of now doesn't make any sense. You speak about changing this would perhaps cause unintended side effects. Allow me to challenge you: What functionality would rely on confusing the start path with the folder in which the icon of the respective file type is located?

I am not trying to say that you need to fix this issue urgently. After all, a user can easily and quickly correct the start path manually, and configuring toolbar buttons is hardly a task repeated on a daily basis. So this is not really that severe of an issue, if you ask me... ;)