Opentext Content Server - WebDav: cannot be accessed

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bharleman

Opentext Content Server - WebDav: cannot be accessed

Post by *bharleman »

Hello,

In my organisation there are a lot of Total Commander users. They use it in combination with our Document Management System named Opentext Content Server 10 via WebDAV folders.

Now and then I hear users complaining that a WebDAV location cannot be accessed, although they have the correct permissions.

I have no experience with Total Commander, therefore I would like to know if there are readers that have experience with Opentext Content Server i.c.w. TC and if they recognize this issue, and maybe can provide me with a solution :-).

Thanks in advance!
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

And why don't you try it for yourself ?
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1372a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Well, the first question that comes to my mind: Do the people working with TC use the latest version of WebDAV plugin? The second is: What kind of (error) message is shown when the access doesn't work? And the third is: Does it work correctly with a different DAV client (maybe a browser) when the TC plugin fails?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
bharleman

Post by *bharleman »

Thank you for reply.

I tried to reproduce the issue myself, but for me it is working properly (using a trial version of TC).

1. The user doesn't have a webdav plugin installed
(By the way I dont understand exactly the role of the WebDAV plugin, because without installing this plugin, I'm able to access the WebDAV folder mapping (open folders and documents without any issue)?
And after installation of WEBDAV plugin, what's the difference? You still need to make use of the same mapping, don't you?)
2.There is no error message, he only hears a sound that he has no access to the folder
3. Do you mean using the WebDAV mapping using Windows Explorer? I assume that he doesn't have issues accessing the particular folder, but I will ask for confirmation.

So I'm sorry for not understanding this stuff very well, but could it be that installing the latest Webdav plugin will improve the situation? And do you need to activate something after installation of this client, or just open the mapping in the same way?

Thank you very much in advance.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

bharleman wrote:1. The user doesn't have a webdav plugin installed
So it's already mapped in Explorer. But then TC is not really responsible for any errors because it's the system that handles the connection by itself. Does it work in Explorer when TC fails?
(By the way I dont understand exactly the role of the WebDAV plugin, because without installing this plugin, I'm able to access the WebDAV folder mapping (open folders and documents without any issue)?
Simple: Older versions of Windows aren't able to connect to WebDAV servers so the plugin was created.
And after installation of WEBDAV plugin, what's the difference?
TC, or specifically the plugin, handles all connections, not the system. That is, if you indeed use the plugin by going to Network Neighborhood > WebDAV, and create and use the connection there.
You still need to make use of the same mapping, don't you?)
If you mean by "same mapping" that you'd use the existing connection created in Explorer: No. It's a separate thing (see above).
2.There is no error message, he only hears a sound that he has no access to the folder
OK, good to know (because just as important as an error message).
3. Do you mean using the WebDAV mapping using Windows Explorer?
No, I mean browsers like Firefox, Chrome or something, not IE or Explorer (which is the same in this regard).
[...] but could it be that installing the latest Webdav plugin will improve the situation?
Possibly. You don't know until you've tried it ;).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

1. The user doesn't have a webdav plugin installed
Then the user must have started Total Commander with hiher user rights (as administrator): Network connections in Windows (including WebDAV) are user specific, and running a program as administrator is treated as a separate user.

They either need to run Total Commander with normal rights, or install my WebDAV plugin and access the server via that plugin.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
bharleman

Post by *bharleman »

Dear Dalai, thank you veyr much for your extensive reply, now I think I understand it better.
I will first ask the user to install the WebDAV plugin to see if this makes a difference. If not, I will ask him to use the Network\WEBDAV\ location to make a WEBDAV connection from there, to see if this solves the issue.

Cheers,

Bart