Synchronize directories: Silent selection state change

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Synchronize directories: Silent selection state change

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

There is a little bug in the UI of the "Synchronize Directories" window. It does not affect the sync function itself, but messes up the selection a little.

Clicking somewhere on the blank area in the sync. Directories window (which is present if the list of synced files is shorter than the Sync dirs. window) silently changes the selection to the last file in the list, without reflecting this change in the UI.

In my opinion, clicking somewhere in the blank area of the sync. dirs. window should not have any effect at all.

How to reproduce:

1. Open the the Sync. Directories window and let it show/compare a few files (4 or more files are necessary to see the effect of the bug).

2. Make sure that the Sync. Directories window is large enough so that the list of all files fits into the window, and that there is still some blank space at the bottom.

3. Note that the selection bar is on the 1st item.

4. Now click on the blank space with the mouse.

5. Unbeknown to the user, internally the TC has now made the last item the selected item. However, the UI does not reflect that change.

6. Use the keyboard to invoke some function that is related to the currently selected item and you will notice that the function will apply to the last item in the list, even though the selection bar is still on the 1st item. Examples of keyboard functions demonstrating the effect of the bug:
    - Open the context menu with the context-menu-key on the keyboard. Note that the context menu aligns with the last item despite the 1st item being the selected one.
    - Pressing Ctrl+F3 to will open the Compare window. Note that the compare window compares the last file in the list, not the 1st selected one.
    - Pressing Cursor Up will make the selection jump from the 1st item to the 2nd-last item.

(TC 9.0a x64 on Windows 7 Pro x64)

UPDATE: I tested with the 32-bit version as well. The selection bug is the same in TC32, but there is a minor difference. TC32 will show a focus indicator on the last item when i click on the blank space (the dotted rectangle indicating that an UI element has the keyboard focus), which TC64 does not.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is actually a misfeature of Windows itself! It's in the listbox control.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:This is actually a misfeature of Windows itself! It's in the listbox control.
Ah okay.

Well, could you perhaps make TC64 showing the dotted input focus rectangle? As noted in the update to my report, only TC32 shows it whereas TC64 fails to do so. Having a visible input focus rectangle would provide visual feedback of what the focused element in the list is (and help maintaining control over the control, erm... ;) )

(Out of curiosity: The file panels do not behave in this way. I guess those are not based on a standard Windows control...)