Is it possible to access Win. Explorer Favorite Links in TC?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Ahu_Lee

Is it possible to access Win. Explorer Favorite Links in TC?

Post by *Ahu_Lee »

I tried to search the forum for this but unfortunately I found nothing.

Many thanks.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

If that's what you're looking for - I only know a 2-click solution:

1. Create a link of your Favorites in Windows Explorer: Simply drag the "star" to the desktop
2. Create a button in TC with command: cd "%UserProfile%\Desktop"
3. Press this button and click on the link

EDIT:
1-Klick solution with Button (below in this thread) - Directlink:
viewtopic.php?p=329995#329995
Last edited by tuska on 2017-07-03, 11:55 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Win7: Windows Explorer "Star" Favorites Favoriten

Post by *Stefan2 »

Windows Explorer > "Star" Favorites:

For W7 see %UserProfile%\Links"

If "Link" folder is not there (or to lockup other such locations) see
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Or create a shortcut in your Favorites with an unique name and next search for that string.

Ahu_Lee

Re: Win7: Windows Explorer "Star" Favorites Favori

Post by *Ahu_Lee »

Stefan2 wrote:Windows Explorer > "Star" Favorites:

For W7 see %UserProfile%\Links"

If "Link" folder is not there (or to lockup other such locations) see
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Or create a shortcut in your Favorites with an unique name and next search for that string.

The link folder is there. %UserProfile%\Links works if I paste it manually in TC, thank you very much. But now I'd like to make it a button, what do I do for that? I don't know how to use an environment variable as a button parameter. I've already tried different things like doubling the percents and it didn't work. Here's the topic I created about this: https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=48105

BTW I'm just curious what did you mean by
create a shortcut in your Favorites with an unique name and next search for that string.

Could you please elaborate a bit more? What does it mean to create s shortcut IN Favorites? Where do I search?

Thank you.

tuska, unfortunately your solution doesn't really solve anything. I wouldn't even call it that. Thank you for trying to help, though.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Ahu_Lee wrote:tuska, unfortunately your solution doesn't really solve anything. I wouldn't even call it that.
If you open Windows Explorer and then under "File" - "Options", "General" tab ... set it to:
"Open file explorer for: Quick access", then the next time Windows Explorer opens with the quick access
(to the left of this is a star) - at least this is the case here under Windows 10 in a German version.

Then my guide should work.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Ahu_Lee wrote:The link folder is there. %UserProfile%\Links works if I paste it manually in TC, thank you very much.
But now I'd like to make it a button, what do I do for that?
I don't know how to use an environment variable as a button parameter.

Command: cd "%UserProfile%\Link"
Parameter:

Note: only the PARAMETER field/box is problematic for non-TC percent signs.

So you have to double non-TC percent signs in that box.

More info:

TC internal percent sign variable: %L, %F, %S, %T,...

non-TC percent sign variable: %Commander_Path% >> %%Commander_Path%%
(system environment variable, created by TC and with "TC" in name, but not an TC internal variable.
Command: cmd /k
Parameter: cd "%%Commander_Path%%"

If you use %Commander_Path% (single percent sign) in Parameter box, TC see a %C and try to interpret that
and also remove that and the trailing percent sign
and so pass cd "ommander_Path" to cmd.exe only:
Command: cmd /k
Parameter: cd "%Commander_Path%"
Resulting in message like "Das System kann den angegebenen Pfad nicht finden."

But in Command box that single percent sign still work:
Command: cd "%Commander_Path%"
Parameter:

- - -

Ahu_Lee wrote:BTW I'm just curious what did you mean by
I think I had should wrote "Link" ?

"Create a new entry, e.g. to C:\Windows, to your Favorites."
That is a Link, or a "shortcut to...".

Next rename that entry to an unique name like "ABC2017XYZ"

After that you can search your folders (or in some cases the Regitry too) for that unique string "ABC2017XYZ" to find the storage location.

Ahu_Lee

Post by *Ahu_Lee »

tuska wrote:
Ahu_Lee wrote:tuska, unfortunately your solution doesn't really solve anything. I wouldn't even call it that.
If you open Windows Explorer and then under "File" - "Options", "General" tab ... set it to:
"Open file explorer for: Quick access", then the next time Windows Explorer opens with the quick access
(to the left of this is a star) - at least this is the case here under Windows 10 in a German version.

Then my guide should work.
No, what I meant is that the 2-click solution is not (and cannot be) a solution at all.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Quick Access with TC to Windows Explorer favorites ("St

Post by *tuska »

After the post of Stefan2 I have now a 1-Klick solution with Button ready:

1. Open Windows Explorer and then under "File" - "Change folder and search options", "General" tab ...
1- Set it to: "Open file explorer for: Quick access", then press Button "Accept"
2. Restart Windows Explorer - Quick access with favorites are shown
3. Create a link of your Favorites in Windows Explorer: Simply drag the "star" left from Quick access
3- a) to the desktop or
3- b) to another place (if it is not possible to move the link from Desktop to Buttonbar because of missing User-rights)
4. a) if your link is on the desktop: drag him to the buttonbar, then right-click on this button, click on "change"
4. a) and add: cd and blankspace in front of the command, OK
4. b) if your link is on another place: Same procedure as under 4. a)
5. Parameter "Start path" in TC's "Change single button"-window (after right-click on the button, "Change..."):
5. a) if filled [automatically or manually], then this path will be opened in the other panel (Quick access opens always in the active panel)
5. b) if leaved blank [or deleted], then Quick access of Windows Explorer will be opened in the active panel and the other panel leaves unchanged

EDIT1: 3- b) Note added regarding user authorization.
EDIT2: Added Point "5."
Last edited by tuska on 2017-07-08, 18:48 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Ahu_Lee

Post by *Ahu_Lee »

Stefan2 wrote:
Ahu_Lee wrote:BTW I'm just curious what did you mean by
I think I had should wrote "Link" ?

"Create a new entry, e.g. to C:\Windows, to your Favorites."
That is a Link, or a "shortcut to...".

Next rename that entry to an unique name like "ABC2017XYZ"

After that you can search your folders (or in some cases the Regitry too) for that unique string "ABC2017XYZ" to find the storage location.

No, I believe you wrote everything just fine it was me who didn't understand your idea.

And the storage location we find will have some kind of id that we can address later on from TC using e.g. a button? That was your plan or I just didn't understand you again?

Your command works perfectly. Thank you for your help and all the explanations, Stefan2. I greatly appreciate it.
Ahu_Lee

Re: Quick Access with TC to Windows Explorer favorites (Schn

Post by *Ahu_Lee »

tuska wrote:
After the post of Stefan2 I have now a 1-Klick solution with Button ready:

1. Open Windows Explorer and then under "File" - "Change folder and search options", "General" tab ...
1- Set it to: "Open file explorer for: Quick access", then press Button "Accept"
2. Restart Windows Explorer - Quick access with favorites are shown
3. Create a link of your Favorites in Windows Explorer: Simply drag the "star" left from Quick access
3- a) to the desktop or
3- b) to another place
4. a) if your link is on the desktop: drag him to the buttonbar, then right-click on this button, click on "change"
4. a) and add: cd and blankspace in front of the command, OK
4. b) if your link is on another place: Same procedure as under 4. a)
I'm on Windows 7 and your instruction is meant to be I believe for Windows 10. Therefore I can't really follow your instruction step by step. and I also cannot restart the Explorer at the moment. But I have the star shortcut on my desktop and it simply won't drag-and-drop onto the button bar. Maybe I'll try it later. Anyway, I don't really understand why do we need to make all of these steps if we already have this %UserProfile%\Links\.

Thank you, tuska.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Just a quick note (hope I can make myself clear enough)
Ahu_Lee wrote:And the storage location we find will have some kind of id that we can address later on from TC using e.g. a button? That was your plan or I just didn't understand you again?
The plan was just to find (and use) the original location (here: "C:\Users\username\Link" .
(And with that location you can g00gle if there is a common ID too, if you want, but it's not necessary)

Ahu_Lee wrote:... and it simply won't drag-and-drop onto the button bar.
Please take care on the WindowsTM "integrity level" concept/design.
You can't access (drag&drop) applications with higher IL (TC started as elevated admin) from apps with lower IL (WinEx/Desktop)
(keyword: Windows Integrity Mechanism Design , Integrity Level)

tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Ahu_Lee wrote:I don't really understand why do we need to make all of these steps if we already have this %UserProfile%\Links\.
Maybe because you get all of the information from the quick access (=> which is reachable with the link!). ;-)
But maybe there is a serious difference between Windows 7 and Windows 10 regarding the quick access-function, who knows?
Just try it.
Ahu_Lee

Post by *Ahu_Lee »

tuska wrote:
Ahu_Lee wrote:I don't really understand why do we need to make all of these steps if we already have this %UserProfile%\Links\.
Maybe because you get all of the information from the quick access (=> which is reachable with the link!). ;-)
But maybe there is a serious difference between Windows 7 and Windows 10 regarding the quick access-function, who knows?
Just try it.
I got %UserProfile%\Links from Stefan2. But I thought it was just a well-known path for a well-known location. I didn't realize that he might have found this path for the first time himself just to answer my question.
Stefan2 wrote:Please take care on the WindowsTM "integrity level" concept/design.
You can't access (drag&drop) applications with higher IL (TC started as elevated admin) from apps with lower IL (WinEx/Desktop)
(keyword: Windows Integrity Mechanism Design , Integrity Level)

Very interesting. It's all new to me. I'll look into it later. Thank you.

Thank you very much, guys, you were a great help!