Listing of CBR, RAR, CBZ & Zip Image/File Count Availabl

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Buckaroo

Listing of CBR, RAR, CBZ & Zip Image/File Count Availabl

Post by *Buckaroo »

In a "File Explorer"-style utility, is there a way to list the number of images or files inside a CBR, RAR, CBZ & ZIP compressed folders? Currently, when hovering the cursor over CBR, RAR, CBZ or ZIP files, a "Pop-up Description" InfoTip appears with the following information (as shown in Figure 1.):

1. Archive type (RAR or ZIP)
2. Number of IMAGES in the archive
3. Number of FILES in the archive
4. Size

I need a list of files in a folder that shows the number of files or images in each CBR, RAR, CBZ or ZIP file (as shown in the Figure 2. mock-up).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Figures 1 & 2: Image: https://image.ibb.co/nE7W6a/Wishlist_folder_file_list_with_RAR_and_ZIP_file_image_counts_a.jpg
Last edited by Buckaroo on 2017-08-10, 02:25 UTC, edited 9 times in total.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Features such as this would require ALL images to be extracted before the dimensions of them can be determined. This would be VERY slow, and would create quite some CPU and disk activity.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Dalai,
this would require ALL images to be extracted before the dimensions of them can be determined
Dimensions?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Buckaroo

Post by *Buckaroo »

In regular Window 10 File Explorer, the little "Pop-up Description"/InfoTip has all the information I need, and is instantaneous when hovering over a filename. Must be fast to obtain. See Figure 1, which happens instantly while hovering over a RAR, CBR, CBZ or ZIP file. When hovering over other files (such as an .exe), information such as "File description" "Company" "File Version" "Date Created" and "Size" are shown.

Figure 1 & 2: Image: https://image.ibb.co/nE7W6a/Wishlist_folder_file_list_with_RAR_and_ZIP_file_image_counts_a.jpg

P.S. The "Pop-up Description" or "InfoTip" function is part of Windows File Explorer and is enabled/disabled via "Folder Options" or "ShowInfoTip" in the registry. Thanks to petermad we know that the content of these information balloons may also be generated by third party programs such as WinRAR.
Last edited by Buckaroo on 2017-08-10, 02:23 UTC, edited 6 times in total.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Hacker wrote:Dimensions?
Not the correct term? I mean width and height of the images that can be seen in the lower part of the OP's mockup.

But now I see that I misinterpreted something, I though that the additional columns would show the image's width and height, which they don't. Sorry :oops:. Um, I didn't say anything, did I? ;)

I'm not sure if it's possible to show the information in columns. It IS possible to get the "popup" in TC as well: Enable Options > Display > [X] Win32-style tips with file comments (and perhaps [X] Comments from Explorer (OLE2)). Provided your screenshot is not a mockup but shows real data, so Explorer can actually show the additional columns, you can also bring them into TC by using ShellDetails content plugin in conjunction with a Custom Columns view.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Buckaroo

Post by *Buckaroo »

The red text in Figure 2. is a mock-up where I took the information from the "Pop-up Description" InfoTips and placed them in columns, which is what I want a file manager (e.g., Total Commander) to do, if it is possible.

The "Pop-up Description" information is obviously always available to standard Windows File Explorer, now all I want is a list of that information.

===========================================
Addendum: (Correction thanks to petermad) The content of some InfoTips may also be generated by programs such as WinRAR. Since starting this thread, it has been discovered that the number of files inside RAR/ZIP/CBR/CBZ, uncompressed folders, etc. can be listed in the off-the-shelf program Directory Opus using its "Total File Count" feature as shown in Figure 3. Image: https://image.ibb.co/nGhg6a/Directory_Opus_segment_showing_Files_total_feature_f.jpg
Last edited by Buckaroo on 2017-08-10, 12:30 UTC, edited 7 times in total.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Dalai,
;)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Buckaroo

Post by *Buckaroo »

"Pop-up Descriptions" aka "Detail InfoTips" (google "Tooltips and InfoTips") gather information from the file's metadata via keywords ( google 37959-customize-shortcut-infotip-details-windows.html ).

The programmer's job seems to be to obtain each file's desired metadata via its keyword (e.g., filecount) and display it in a column.

================================================
Addendum: It has been discovered that an off-the-shelf program named Directory Opus (http://www.gpsoft.com.au/) has a feature to list the number of files inside folders, RAR/CBR/ZIP/CBZ files, etc. that is accessed by right-clicking in the column heading, then selecting "COLUMNS > GENERAL > Total File count" , which is shown in Figure 3. (A Directory Opus segment showing the "Files (total)" feature.
Image: https://image.ibb.co/nGhg6a/Directory_Opus_segment_showing_Files_total_feature_f.jpg )
Last edited by Buckaroo on 2017-08-10, 02:32 UTC, edited 7 times in total.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Buckaroo
The "Pop-up Description" information is obviously always available to sandard Windows File Explore
I don't think so: here is what I see in standard Windows File Explorer: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/infotip.png - no info about the number of files and images here...

You can also see on my screenshot that Windows standard icon for zipped archives is used (a folder with a zipper), whereas on your screenshot http://image.ibb.co/eLJb4v/File_list_with_RAR_and_ZIP_file_image_counts.jpg is is another icon that is used for both zip an rar files (Windows does not have a special icon for rar files). So some other program must be installed on your system providing the extra info about the number of images and files in the infotips - do you have Winrar or 7zip installed?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Buckaroo

Post by *Buckaroo »

Yes, WinRAR and ComicRack are installed on my system. Actually, WinRAR provides a special icon for RAR files, ComicRack provides the special icon for CBR and CBZ eComic files, and Windows provides the standard zip file icon, all of which may be seen in Figure 3.

Figure 3. Image: https://image.ibb.co/nGhg6a/Directory_Opus_segment_showing_Files_total_feature_f.jpg (Directory Opus segment showing the Files (total) feature.)

This feature is enabled by right-clicking in the column heading, then selecting "COLUMNS > GENERAL > Total File count" - the column heading for this feature is "Files (total)"

Although I have a workable solution for my immediate needs (i.e., Directory Opus), which was the reason for starting this thread, it would be ideal for Total Commander to have this feature as well. Now that I realize a variety of useful information exists in the file header (some of which is used in InfoTips), the ability to choose what to list for every file is the logical next step. For processing a large number of files or folders, listing desired data is much more useful than having a limited amount of information only appear as an InfoTip or the necessity of opening/searching "Properties."

Thanks for all the responses!