Vertical scroll bars - switching off / on

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Amitabha613

Vertical scroll bars - switching off / on

Post by *Amitabha613 »

For more than 10 years of using TC, I don't remember using vertical scroll bars, which appear on the right sides of the panels with lots of files in them, even once.

Scrolling only with mouse wheel or PgDn / PgUp. So these scroll bars just eat screen space.

Perhaps there are other people like me, too.

Do you think it's a good idea to implement a possibility of switching these bars off / on?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Vertical scroll bars - switching off / on

Post by *Dalai »

Amitabha613 wrote:Do you think it's a good idea to implement a possibility of switching these bars off / on?
As an option, defaulting to showing the bars. But I doubt that Ghisler can implement it since these are standard Windows controls that don't have much room for customization.

Here's how I see hiding these bars: How are you supposed to see at first glance that there are more files in the panel/list? I HATE when desktop environments hide scroll bars, be it Win10 or some Linux window manager. Showing them when hovering the mouse over them is also crap, because this also requires user (inter)action to get a simple information (are there more files).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Amitabha613

Post by *Amitabha613 »

I doubt that Ghisler can implement it since these are standard Windows controls that don't have much room for customization.
Perhaps. But still, what's wrong with asking?
How are you supposed to see at first glance that there are more files in the panel/list?
I'd offer the following (don't know if it can be implemented): when there are many files, and the bars are off, to place a little mark / sign at the bottom of the panel, like an arrow or something...
Vochomurka
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vochomurka »

2Amitabha613
Theoretically you can write a script that looks for window(s) with VSCROLL area property and close these windows. Such script can be autoexecuted at starting TC.
I didn't test this, and I don't want to
Single user license #329241
PowerPro scripts for Total Commander
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Years ago we had monitors and screen resolutions
for which the scroll bars where eating valuable space.
But not today
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Amitabha613 wrote:when there are many files, and the bars are off, to place a little mark / sign at the bottom of the panel, like an arrow or something...
So you basically replace one indicator, that is made specifically made for its purpose, with another that (among others) doesn't indicate how much (more) files are in the list. For what, to save 20 pixels in width? Sounds weird.

But as I said: I don't mind if it's implemented as an option.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror