Need help with a sorting problem

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Perplexer

Need help with a sorting problem

Post by *Perplexer »

I'm using Total Commander 9.0a on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and also on Windows Server 2008 64-bit.

I went through Options on both computers and configured TC completely identically. Still, I noticed that folders/files are not sorted in the same way. The sort method I have set on both computers in TC is "Natural sorting: alphabetical and numbers".

As an example I can take two folders: Star Trek and Star.Wars

On Windows Server 2008 (related to Vista) with Internet Explorer 9 the folders are shown like this:
Star.Wars
Star Trek

On Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 11 the folders are shown like this:
Star Trek
Star.Wars

Like I mentioned, TC settings are identical, so I am guessing it has something to do with Internet Explorer, since help pages say that this particular sorthing method "Needs Internet Explorer >=6.x installed on your system, because a function from IE6 is used for sorting.". Region, language and locale options are also set the same in Control Panel on both computers.

I then tried it on Windows XP Professional 32-bit with Internet Explorer 8 and on that one TC sorts the same way as on Windows 7. So it's quite weird. I would like to get them all to sort the same way while having "Natural sorting: alphabetical and numbers" set as the sort method.

Does anyone have any ideas or tips on what I should try next ?

Thanks.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Do you have enabled option "Display - Sorting directories - Like files (also by time)" on both machines?
#5767 Personal license
Perplexer

Post by *Perplexer »

Yes, that option is set on both. Switching it to "Always by name" does not change the sort order though, at least not in my case.

Actually I noticed that the same sorting discrepancy is also present in Windows Explorer. On Windows Server 2008 it shows "Star.Wars" before "Star Trek" and in Windows 7 it shows "Star Trek" before "Star.Wars".
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

"Natural sorting: alphabetical and numbers" uses a special Windows function StrCmpLogicalW. Microsoft writes about this function
Note Behavior of this function, and therefore the results it returns, can change from release to release.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com