Feature request - remove delay before entering path edit mod

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mikus

Feature request - remove delay before entering path edit mod

Post by *mikus »

When clicking on the current directory path, if I click on the empty area (to the right of the breadcrumbs displayed path) TC gives a delay between entering edit mode of the path.

This delay serves no purpose and is really annoying as I do this a lot. Can it please be removed ?

Thanks
Vochomurka
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vochomurka »

I suppose the delay is necessary because the double click on the same area opens the HotDirList. So, the system must understand what you want to do. If to remove the delay, you would never call the HotDirList by double clicking the path fileld.
By the way, you can enter this field by:
1) cm_EditPath command;
2) Pressing Home, then Shift+F6
(Perhaps there are other ways I don't know about).
You can say that HotDirList can be invoked several ways, too. Yes, but for most users it is more frequent action then to edit the path field
Single user license #329241
PowerPro scripts for Total Commander
mikus

Post by *mikus »

Sorry I don't understand what does double click has to do with it ? double click and single click are two distinct operation, the delay there is not the delay between two clicks it is _much_ larger thx.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

mikus wrote:[...] the delay there is not the delay between two clicks [...]
Yes, it is.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
mikus

Post by *mikus »

No. Click and DoubleClick are two distinct windows events.

See for example chrome URL bar as to how this *should* work
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Does the chrome- (or firefox-, or explorer-,...) path bar support a double click action?

Regards
Holger
Make our planet great again
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Does the chrome- (or firefox-, or explorer-,...) path bar support a double click action?
Mine doesn't seem to...
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
mikus

Post by *mikus »

well yes, double clicking on the text selects the word under the mouse where as single click just enters edit mode.

But forget about chrome that was a confusing example sorry, let's do the simple TC operations

single click on a file - select the file
double click on a file - opens it

and there is not delay for single clicking ... if your machine had a significant delay after each click it would be unusable.
Vochomurka
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vochomurka »

2mikus
As I understand, we are not talking about Chrome or text editor, we are talking about the path field in TC. So, there: single click + delay = EDIT path field, double click (no delay) = HotDirList. Can you reproduce such behaviour?
mikus

Post by *mikus »

Yes I can

I am asking for the click delay to be removed so:

single click (no delay ) = edit path
double click (no delay) = HotDirList
Vochomurka
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vochomurka »

In such case read my first post again. I am sure the delay is made by design. Personally I don't call HotDirList by double-click, but some people definitely do
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

mikus,
single click (no delay ) = edit path
double click (no delay) = HotDirList
How could you perform one double click without performing two single clicks at the same time?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
mikus

Post by *mikus »

Hi Hacker

Pls try the following:

On TC on any file

single click selects the file - without delay
double click opens the file - without delay

This is also obviously the common behavior of single/double click throughout windows.

I am asking for the delay before entering path edit on click to be removed. This has no implications for double click as explained above.

(note, of course there is a tiny delay being waited by windows before recognizing a double click, this is not the delay here, otherwise you will need the same long delay after *every* click on your system which is obviously not the case as shown above)

Thx!
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

mikus wrote:On TC on any file

single click selects the file - without delay
double click opens the file - without delay
And? That is not relevant. What's more likely comparable: click on the file, wait, click it again to start renaming the file. That's exactly what the path bar does: "renaming" the folder you're in. In both cases two single clicks have a different meaning and result than a double click, simple as that. So, the delay can't just be removed.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
mikus

Post by *mikus »

No.

The delay you are talking about is different and necessary, it distinguishes between two *single clicks*, one just selects the file, and the other to enter edit mode.

The TC path already has single click both select the bar and enter edit mode, it just has a delay which is not doing anything or distinguish between any different activities.

My guess is that the delay is there when moving from the top to the bottom pane. So the first click just selects the pane and does not enter edit mode. To me the benefit in that is small where as the delay to enter edit mode (multiplied by dozens of times a day) is very distracting. Perhaps that delay can be configurable.