Changing the fractional counter in MRT

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Rodny

Changing the fractional counter in MRT

Post by *Rodny »

I think that the current implementation of this option does not quite match the existing options.
Help TC 8.51 beta 2 wrote:[C+1/100] New: Fractional number: Paste counter, but increase it only every n files (in this example: every 100 files).
Earlier parameter [C+n] was always interpreted as a step "n". After this example I expected that the option [C+3/10][N] will add to first 10 files "1", to second 10 - "4" and so on.
Instead, I got the files with first numbers:
1 1 1 1 2 2 2 3 3 3
4 4 4 4 5 5 5 6 6 6
7 7 7 7 8 8 8 9 9 9
It is a little confusing.
The counter is incremented by a fraction 0.3. What's the practical sense? Because it means that all options except 1/n is pointless and inconvenient to use.

I suggest to change the logic of this parameter so that [C+n/m] will mean: the counter will increase by "n" after every m files.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Changing the fractional counter in MRT

Post by *MVV »

Rodny wrote:I suggest to change the logic of this parameter so that [C+n/m] will mean: the counter will increase by "n" after every m files.
I agree that it is much more logical and useful.
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

I agree also.
Rounding of fractions converted to decimal can provide unexpected results like in your example with 3 or any other number which doesn't result to exact number (fractions od 6,7,9 etc...)
Or maybe someone has idea for practical use of such implementation?
Ovg
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Ovg »

2solid

ghisler(Author) wrote in history file:
Multi-rename tool: The counter field [C] now supports fractional parts (only in the field itself, not in the counter section), e.g. [C+1/100]\[N] will move the first 100 files to subdir "1", the next 100 to "2" etc. (for the reverse, use ..\[N]) (32/64)
But I agree with written by MVV and Rodny and if mr. Ghisler implements their suggestions it will be great.
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
#259941, TC 11.01 x64, Windows 7 SP1 x64
Rodny

Post by *Rodny »

2Ovg
If to implement my suggestion, then [C+1/100]\[N] will function as before, no difference.
Ovg
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Ovg »

:oops: It seems I have confused "rename files" and "select files". Sorry!
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
#259941, TC 11.01 x64, Windows 7 SP1 x64
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

I think that the best solution is to introduce the DIV and MOD operators instead of fractions as those can be unpredictable as seen.
Besides the features discussed above, it will also be possible to reset the counter on the desired value, a feature asked for a long time ago.
EvilDragon

Re: Changing the fractional counter in MRT

Post by *EvilDragon »

Rodny wrote:I suggest to change the logic of this parameter so that [C+n/m] will mean: the counter will increase by "n" after every m files.
I just discovered the fractional number option, but I also don't like how it works.

I would expect to be able to set the step size as well as after how many files the number is incremented.

I need to convert filenames so that they contain a certain number in their filename, it has to be the same every 3 files, and then it needs to increase by 2. Not possible with this scheme...