TwinKey Problem: need write access to install folder

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

darren1234

TwinKey Problem: need write access to install folder

Post by *darren1234 »

The TwinKey plugin uses TwinkUtil.exe to write/update the TWinKey.ini file. It may also be trying to update this file from within TC.
The problem is all plugins are stored in the c:\Program Files (x86)\totalcmd\
directory which needs administrator permissions to write to. So TwinKey cannot create/update TWinKey.ini.

Can the plugins dir be set/moved to a place which does not require administrator permission ? And how would I go about this ? (Will I need to uninstall all plugins and reinstall?)

Please help
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

It is in your responsibility as user (at least since MS invited that protection with Vista) to install into a folder without that "security"
or to grant write access to that current folder {or the file in question} (see context menu) to a specific user or the group Users.

Also you can copy the whole totalcmd folder to outside of ProgramFiles sub dir.
If you have shortcuts to TC.exe (e.g. start menu) you have to adjust them, or create them new.
If all works fine, in a few weeks you can delete the TC folder from ProgramFiles dir.

If there is a TwinKey plugin own way to redirect the path of the INI file I don't know, could be mentioned in the help, no?

Edit: added another idea
Last edited by Stefan2 on 2017-09-29, 08:41 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
darren1234

Post by *darren1234 »

All fixed. I have found a way to save the Twinkey.ini file to 'Program Files'. Just need to run the TwinkUtil.exe in the TC plugins directory as administrator. :lol:
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Run as administrator once for creating INI and then add write permissions for Users group for INI to allow modifying it w/o administrator rights.