Let us sort the list of ''Internal Associations''

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

billiebub

Let us sort the list of ''Internal Associations''

Post by *billiebub »

When you have plenty of extensions in Internal Associations, it would be very handy to sort the list of associations by row upon load for readability. For example, I have the following list:
  • *.jpg;*.gif;*.bmp;*.ico;*.jpeg;*.png
    *.vproj
    *.img
    *.gz
    *.ipsw
    *.asm
    *.dmg
    *.dex
    *.mobileprovision; *.provisionprofile
    *.b64
    *.dmp
    *.cs
    *.cpp
    *.c
    *.apk
    *.pyc
    *.asc
    *.gpg
    *.torrent
    *.exe; *.dll; *.msi
    *.cert;*.pem
    *.db; *.sqlite
    *.class
    *.jar
    *.log
    *.BinDiffWorkspace
    *.plist
    *.pcap
    *.dUP2
    *.idb
    *.i64
    *.accdr
    *.pdf
    *.mkv;*.mpg;*.avi;*.wmv;*.flv;*.mpeg;*.mov;*.mp4;*.m4v; *.mts; *.ts;*.swf
    *.mp3;*.aac;*.ogg;*.spx
    *.h264
    *.*
As it stands, TC will duplicate newly added extensions if already exist. It would be best to sort them as a list. It would be even better if the extensions in each row is sorted first before sorting each row.
billiebub

Post by *billiebub »

Will this be considered or has it been discussed before?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

billiebub wrote:Will this be considered or has it been discussed before?
Why is the sort of this list so importand ?
I open it only for adding new associations which occours max every few month.
Also you can sort it with drag and drop
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I don't get the point of this suggestion at all. It's a hierachical list. First matching items wins. There is no other meaningful sort order other than the before mentioned manual sorting.
billiebub

Post by *billiebub »

Why is the sort of this list so importand ?
I open it only for adding new associations which occours max every few month.
As you've seen, I have a large list of extensions and I constantly add new ones. When I add new associations, I first need to know whether they already exist or not. For that I have to go through the entire list.
Also you can sort it with drag and drop
Thanks for the tip. At least now I can sort manually.
It's a hierachical list. First matching items wins
Thanks. Good to know.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I think that search feature would be useful here... You enter file path and extension, or filename only, or *.ext and TC checks which item matches for given file and selects that item.
billiebub

Post by *billiebub »

Various issues exist for me here:

1- If you have a group of extensions in one row (example *.jpeg; *.bmp) and you decide you disable that row, if you click at the beginning of the row, it will only disable the *.jpeg by switching to -.jpeg. The *.bmp won't be affected. Also if *.jpeg exists more than once in that group (happened to me by the way), the second *.jpeg won't be affected. It obviously makes sense to group extensions so that you don't duplicate the same behavior for individual extensions (for example, I open *.jpeg; *.bmp using a specific image viewer)

2- Since it is possible to add the extension more than once (either in a group or on it's own), it can be tedious to sort out which extension was matched first from a large group of extensions (see my list above). I think MVV's suggestion is good where you type out the extension and select the desired group or individual extension on it's own. There is also a suggestion I make at the end. Please see below.

3- The thought of using individual extensions per row can be handy as well but only if there is a "duplicate" button to duplicate an existing extension. For example, now I would like to add *.ico. Currently the way I do this is editing WINCMD.INI file (it's tedious and error prone especially when having to increment all these "Filter#_XXXXXX") . It would be handy to have a duplicate button pressed say on *.jpeg so that I don't have to type out the same thing for the newly added *.ico. I find this handy so that I can get around issue #1 by disabling individual extensions since it's now possible to disable them if they're not the first entry in a group. You will probably say "Just create a new entry called "*.ico" and move it to the top. Not a clean approach.

4- Sometimes I would like to merge some behaviour between extensions. For example, I would like certain extensions to have an encryption capability or "send to dropbox". Currently I have to edit WINCMD.INI and edit the necessary extensions.

** just a thought. Can the list be a group of extensions (like shown below). For example, an "Images" group having a list of graphic extensions that can be easily controlled by selecting the group itself. Something like this:
  • + Images
    • *.jpeg
      *.bmp
      *.ico
  • + PE
    • *.exe
      *.dll
      *.msi
If you click on "Images", it will affect all contained extensions. For example clicking on Images will toggle it to -Images, which will disable all contained extensions (*.jpeg, *.bmp; *.ico), etc. If I decide to disable only *.ico, I can only click on that without affecting the other graphic extensions in that group. if I decide to handle *.ico separately, I can drag it out of "Images" on to its own row. Also, If I would like to copy some actions that exist only in *.doc for example to other extensions, I can right click on *.doc, display current actions for *.doc, select a particular action or group of actions, click copy. Then I can go to individual extensions and click paste.