History garbeled when declining to enter FTP-site

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

History garbeled when declining to enter FTP-site

Post by *petermad »

Going back and forth in the History with Alt+LeftArrow and Alt+RightArrow often gets corrupted when there is an FTP.site in the history and you decline to enter the password for the site, but press Esc. or the Cancel button.

Several different things might happen:
- The history can get totally flushed.
- The hstory shows that you are in the FTP directory (shown when pressing Alt+Down) even though you are not.
- The history shows that you are in another directory than you actually are.
- Pressing Alt+LeftArrow and Alt+RightArrow don't lead you anywhere (you are stuck) even thoug Alt+down shows more history enrties, that work when clicked on.
- The FTP directory get deleted from the history - after that Alt+LeftArrow and Alt+RightArrow works fine.

I cannot find any reliable way to reproduce these different faults, but playing around with it - ie. open an FTP site and then click on one or more of the local drive buttons and surf a little around - then close the FTP-connection and minimize TC in order to remove the password from memory, resize TC and use Alt+LeftArrow and Alt+RightArrow until TC asks for the password for the FPT site, then click Cancel and use the Alt+LeftArrow and Alt+RightArrow again.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks, I can reproduce it. There may not be a good solution because TC cannot go to that entry in the history - maybe I should remove that entry, or add a new entry with the new location etc.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think I found a partial solution now - I reset the location in the history to where it was before trying to go back to the FTP directory when login fails.

However, when you then change directory, the entries below that position will be lost (just like in a web browser).
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

In TC 9.10rc1 if I reach an FTP-site going back in history, and I don't enter the password, TC now stays in the last dir befor that FTP-site - I think that is OK :-)

Now, we just need the same functionality when I Alt+LeftArrow my way back to a network share that is no longer available - If I cancel connecting to the network share and I thereafter cancel the "ERROR! -Drive not found!" dialog, then TC deletes all the previous history!
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for confirming the fix.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have changed that now in RC2:
1. If you cannot connect to a network share, and TC returns to the previous directory, the two directories will now switch places in the history.
2. If you cannot connect to a network share, and TC goes to a different drive chosen by the user, TC will now replace the network share in the history with the drive the user has chosen.

Please test it!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

1. If you cannot connect to a network share, and TC returns to the previous directory, the two directories will now switch places in the history.
2. If you cannot connect to a network share, and TC goes to a different drive chosen by the user, TC will now replace the network share in the history with the drive the user has chosen.
This is perfect, now I only wish it was the same for FTP - that after not connecting to FTP, I could continue going back (or forward) in the history with Alt+Arrow.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately I cannot do this with FTP, that's why I had to use the alternate method.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

OK then
License #524 (1994)