Error message window

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Error message window

Post by *Gral »

New error message dialog windows, eg.: "Access denied!" or "File not found!" looks very strange.
If OS and TC language is the same (polish in my case) similar message is displayed twice.
if languages are different (OS - PL vs. TC - EN) first message is in english but second (as i guess from OS) still in Polish.

gral.y0.pl/tc/not_found.png

EDIT - Use page instead image
http://gral.y0.pl/tc/not_found.htm
Last edited by Gral on 2017-10-18, 15:32 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Error message window

Post by *DrShark »

Click on the link in browser makes it go to cba.pl/cba-hotlink.jpg.
Manual Copy+Paste of the link to the browser's address bar is required to see the not_found.png picture.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

This is NOT a bug! It's the result of my suggestion, to make TC say something more meaningful instead of just "Access denied". See here Meaningful error message when program start fails

The first part of the message you see is from TC itself (its language files) and the second part is from your OS. That's why the first part changes language when you change TC language, but the second part stays the same.

PS: Your image hoster doesn't like external deep links when the referer is not on his domain.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

I know this is intentional, i don't claim that's "bug",
but it's looks very strange (especially quotation marks) and still does not explain anything - why there is access denied? What is mean?
Which one file is "not found"?

Saying the same twice does not change anything!

PS. it's not "image hoster" - it's host site and i forget about issues with hotlinking to images.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Gral wrote:I know this is intentional, i don't claim that's "bug"
Well, you created it in the bugs subforum, so I assume you think it's a bug.
but it's looks very strange (especially quotation marks)
It may look strange, but removing the quotes wouldn't change anything in that respect, would it? It would look even weirder.
and still does not explain anything - why there is access denied?
That's up to you to find out. The OS won't tell you why (although it could). Explorer would show the same message (except the first TC part, of course). The message contents depend on the situation.

The error message will be really helpful when you try to execute a 16 bit application on 64 bit Windows, a 64 bit application on 32 bit Windows or an application that's meant for Win7+ on XP. Because then it won't just say "Access denied" anymore but add the same message Explorer would show - which contains the explanation that it won't work and why.
Which one file is "not found"?
The one you double-clicked on or worked with in any other way, I guess. It depends on what you were doing before the message popped up.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, that's all I get back from Windows as an error.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com