Long filename tooltip problem

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tm8544

Long filename tooltip problem

Post by *tm8544 »

Showing the long filename as a tooltip has a problem.
If you hover the mouse over a filename to show the tooltip and then you select the file using the left mouse button, the file is not selected immediately; instead TC looses focus for a second and then the file gets selected.
Tooltip settings in this case are as follows:
- Image: https://ht23.dy.fi/public/tc_filename_tooltip.jpg

If selection is made with right button, files are selected immediately.

Also, if you check 'Win32-style tips' in config, files are selected immediately (with left or right button).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Files are not selected when you click on them with the left mouse button. Just click on the icon instead.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Long filename tooltip problem

Post by *MVV »

tm8544 wrote:Showing the long filename as a tooltip has a problem.
If you hover the mouse over a filename to show the tooltip and then you select the file using the left mouse button, the file is not selected immediately; instead TC looses focus for a second and then the file gets selected.
I believe you mean focusing, not selecting. Focused file is the one that has focus rectangle, there may be only one focused file within single TC instance. Selected file is the one that is added to selection, it is marked with alternative colour, and there are may be many selected files on each panel.

I can confirm that if you click file tooltip, TC window loses focus, because the focus is received by the tooltip window which is managed by Windows. You can focus files by clicking on icons, but last TC versions select files by default by clicking on icons, so you may want to disable this feature (which is not needed on desktop computers with normal mouse).
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Long filename tooltip problem

Post by *Horst.Epp »

MVV wrote:
tm8544 wrote:Showing the long filename as a tooltip has a problem.
I believe you mean focusing, not selecting. Focused file is the one that has focus rectangle, there may be only one focused file within single TC instance. Selected file is the one that is added to selection, it is marked with alternative colour, and there are may be many selected files on each panel.

I can confirm that if you click file tooltip, TC window loses focus, because the focus is received by the tooltip window which is managed by Windows. You can focus files by clicking on icons, but last TC versions select files by default by clicking on icons, so you may want to disable this feature (which is not needed on desktop computers with normal mouse).
I prefer the latest TC version of this because it makes it easy to select some elements from a list without the need to hold Ctrl as ususal.
Also I find it easy and logical to click on a filename to get the focus.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I've never used Ctrl in TC for selecting, right mouse button does its best. :D
I prefer stable right-button selection mode since old DOS file managers, and use it in TC always. But due to slow click renaming in Explorer I usually run programs with double-click on icon, and often focus files by clicking on icon, so new feature is too annoying for me.
siealex

Post by *siealex »

last TC versions select files by default by clicking on icons, so you may want to disable this feature (which is not needed on desktop computers with normal mouse).
I often use this feature on my desktop (but also the ols ctrl+click selection).
We are not so S.M.A.R.T. as we imagine...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, when you press Ctrl or Shift, the tip window is automatically hidden to make selection easier.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com