Quickly accessing iPhone photos folder within TC

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DRP535

Quickly accessing iPhone photos folder within TC

Post by *DRP535 »

I know this topic has been asked/answered before but I can't refind the thread again. Anyway, I know the answer is to use the little down arrow drop down menu item in the panel bar to the left of the directory to bring up the desktop folders menu and then find the connected iPhone in there.

That's all fine and works well, but I have a slightly non-TC related question if I may ask it of the experts in here because Google is not helping. When I open a photo located on my connected iPhone in this manner within TC, it always opens in Windows Photo Viewer instead of the associated program IrfanView which is set to handle all image type files. This only ever happens when opening photos located on a connected iPhone. I'm using W7 x64. Is there anyway to stop this behaviour and force Windows to use the default associated program instead?

Another unrelated question: Ever since the final version of TC v9.10 was released, why has my installation failed to check and find the subsequent v9.11 + v9.12 releases? I've only just seen them in here now. I haven't gotten any notifications from the daily check function within TC. Is it broken?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

When I open a photo located on my connected iPhone in this manner within TC, it always opens in Windows Photo Viewer instead of the associated program IrfanView which is set to handle all image type files.
That's because these aren't real files in the file system, they are virtual files in the virtual iPhone file system. Irfanview can only open files with a real path, e.g. c:\something or \\server\share\something. Btw, F3/F4 has the same restriction.

Auto update notifications are currently limited to final release versions due to a bug in TC 9.0 which would report beta versions even if the user only wanted to know about new release versions.

Therefore you will currently only be informed about new beta versions when using an earlier beta version.

I have added a new wincmd.ini option which will allow to be informed also about new beta versions while using a final version.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I have added a new wincmd.ini option which will allow to be informed also about new beta versions while using a final version.
Great, thanks. I like to stay on top of the latest and greatest when it comes to TC. Will this new option be appearing in 9.12RC3? Can you also include an option to cloak the (x64) nomenclature in the program title bar too please?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It will be in RC4, but it makes no difference when already using a pre-release version.
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:It will be in RC4, but it makes no difference when already using a pre-release version.
Yeah understood, I'm getting the new version alerts now in these latest RC versions anyway.

Back on the main subject, could it be possible for a double click on a photo in an iPhone folder as shown in TC to automatically run a routine that copies that file to the Windows Temp folder and then runs it from there so it opens in the associated program rather than the utterly useless Windows Photo Viewer?

ie. essentially automating the use of a temp directory procedure the user has to go through now to get files from an iPhone into a real useable Windows file system environment?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, it could be done. But would require some major changes, so not in TC 9.12.