TC always uses internal compare tool for me

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

VdgR

Post by *VdgR »

I sent email with wincmd.ini to support email.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

wincmd.ini looks good to me. Are you sure it's the right one?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
atr

Re: TC always uses internal compare tool for me

Post by *atr »

I have similar issue. I am trying to configure BeyondCompare 4 but I also tried with VScode. It works with a button in menu bar but not when added to configuration. My config looks like below (for first few lines) -

[Configuration]
InstallDir=d:\apps\tools\totalcmd
CompareTool=D:\apps\tools\BC4\BComp.exe
UseNewDefFont=1

CompareTool is not repeated. I have updated registry to point to the .\config\wincmd.ini location which looks for the config file in relation to the installation folder.
#350615 Single user license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please check in menu Help - About Total Commander which wincmd.ini is really used by Total Commander.
atr

Post by *atr »

I did verify. It is the same configuration. Also, edited the file by going to Configuration > Change settings file directly.

I tried to enable logging but I don't see any relevant event or error captured in it.
atr

Post by *atr »

I found the issue. For some reason, TC was creating a second [Configuration] section far down in the config file. I don't know why it happens but the configuration file now has two sections. Any modification done to the first Configuration section seems to be not getting applied. I created a fresh configuration file from scratch and incrementally ported the required modifications. This has resolved the issue for now.

I am pretty sure this should have been the issue with OP as well. You may want to see why TC creates a secondary configuration section.
atr

Post by *atr »

The configuration parser/handler in tc seems finicky. Today while going through the forum, I came across this post. When I added below configuration and restarted tc, it prompted me for choosing the icon style like the first time. I found it has added a duplicate [Configuration] section towards the end.

Code: Select all

[Layout]
DarkListBorders=0
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

TC was creating a second [Configuration] section far down in the config file.
This can happen when you accidentally save the file as UTF-8 in notepad.exe or some other editor. This adds a 3 character byte order marker to the start of the file, which looks like this in text mode: 

Now if [Configuration] is the first entry in the ini file, it will start like this:
[Configuration]

Unfortunately Windows does not support UTF-8 settings files, so it doesn't see the first [Configuration] due to the byte order marker and creates a second section.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
Indeed that seems to have happened to me, too. Could TC perhaps check for such a "BOM-corruption" in an .INI before reading/writing to/from it and "repair" it?

TIA
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
atr

Post by *atr »

What is the correct expected encoding? Is it UTF-8 without Bom, UTF16 ?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

atr wrote: 2020-03-29, 11:06 UTCWhat is the correct expected encoding?
ANSI. TC takes care of strings/characters outside of the current ANSI codepage by prefixing them with a BOM individually.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windows only supports ANSI and UTF-16.
KeiraMyers

Post by *KeiraMyers »

atr wrote: 2020-03-27, 22:31 UTC I found the issue. For some reason, TC was creating a second [Configuration] section far down in the config file. I don't know why it happens but the configuration file now has two sections. Any modification done to the first Configuration section seems to be not getting applied. I created a fresh configuration file from scratch and incrementally ported the required to click on modifications. This has resolved the issue for now.

I am pretty sure this should have been the issue with OP as well. You may want to see why TC creates a secondary configuration section .
I did verify. It is the same configuration. Also, edited the file by going to Configuration > Change settings file directly.

I tried to enable logging but I don't see any relevant event or error captured in it.

- - - Edit by moderator:

User quoted another post but added hidden spam link in between >> spam removed >> User banned

Please help us and report such post (see the [!] button) if you find them on browsing the forum, thanks.

[MTAG]