[9.12x64] TC locks up while deleting a file using keyboard

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tolstiakov

[9.12x64] TC locks up while deleting a file using keyboard

Post by *tolstiakov »

Hi Everybody,

I'd like to report an occasional (but highly annoying) problem with TC that I've been experiencing since long ago (not 100% sure but I'd say since version 8.50 or so). OS is Win7 x64, happens both on my laptop and 2 desktop machines.

When deleting a single file using keyboard, TC sometimes locks up. It displays TC progress window saying "Deleting:" and gets stuck there. Cancel is grayed out, close button does not work, and all I can do is kill the process. File being deleted is not locked by another process.

Unfortunately the problem is not easy to reproduce, the frequency may be roughly 1 in 100 attempts. The key combination is Delete followed by Enter in quick succession, I normally do not wait for the confirmation dialog to show up, I want the command executed ASAP. So if there is a slight delay before the confirmation dialog is constructed and takes focus, maybe my keystrokes go to another window which locks up unable to process them?

In settings I have "Use standard copy method..." checked, "Use Explorer delete..." is NOT checked, "F8/del sends to Recycle bin" is checked.

Any suggestions? I usually have 2-4 TCs open, and killing one that is stuck is very annoying because:
- I can't easily tell them apart so I often miss and kill the wrong process
- Killing TC destroys the session (opened tabs and dirs)

Best regards and thanks,
Nenad Filipovic
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Do you delete directly or to recycle bin?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
tolstiakov

Post by *tolstiakov »

"F8/del sends to Recycle bin" is checked, so it should go to RB after pressing Delete and Enter keys.

To reproduce the problem you may try Delete followed by the Enter key, but in very quick succession. I doubt it would show up under low system load and when everything is cached in RAM, best would be to run some filesystem or RAM intensive task first and then go back to TC and try the key sequence. To me the issue happens (if my memory serves me right) almost exclusively when I return back to TC after doing something else on the system, and delete operation is the first command I attempt in TC (e.g. a stale log file I want to get rid of).

Hope this helps,
Best regards, Nenad
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your recycle bin may be damaged. Can you access it from Explorer? If yes, can you try again after emptying it?
tolstiakov

Post by *tolstiakov »

RB is accessible using Explorer and seems fine on both machines where the problem was observed. But if RB was somehow broken, wouldn't the problem be persistent (occurring every time) rather than intermittent?

Since all of this is happening at the boundary of TC code and Explorer API, there is a possibility that this is related to some nasty Explorer problem. I remember this issue came with Win7, it never happened on WInXP.

Under normal circumstances, pressing the Delete key on a file produces two dialog boxes: TC "Deleting:" and Delete File "Are you sure..." (I suppose this second one comes from Explorer). Both of these are modal, and if the second one does not get constructed, the first one gets stuck. I think it indeed does not get constructed, otherwise it would accept keystrokes when in focus (even if hidden/off-screen). I have a screenshot of the problem (looks exactly the same as if you just moved the second Delete File box off the main TC window).

PS: I can confirm that on last few problem occurrences the drive in question was permanently attached, not a removable one (e.g. USB)
tolstiakov

Post by *tolstiakov »

Any news regarding this issue? The problem is persistent and really, really annoying.

Is there a possibility to get a special build which logs some diagnostics? This way I could upload that log once the problem occurs.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately that wouldn't help. TC just tells Windows to move the file to recycle bin (via OLE2), it doesn't do it by itself.