Directory compare by content, CRLF vs LF

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MrHoek

Directory compare by content, CRLF vs LF

Post by *MrHoek »

Hello,

I've been using Total Commander since the DOS ages (at that time Norton Commander) and for the first time I'm hitting something I cannot find in totalCmd.

I'd like to compare directories with text files by content, but ignore the fact that these file have CRLF one one side and only LF on the other side.

Is this possible?
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

You should be able to do this by adding a custom compare type using one of TC's built-in content plug-in functions:
  1. In the sync. dir window, click on the ">>" or "++" button (next to the "by content" checkbox.)
  2. Enable "Use plugin compare function" checkbox.
  3. Click "Add", and provide the required file type(s), for example *.txt.
  4. When asked for for the custom fields, click on the "+" button.
  5. Select the "tc" plugin and choose the "Compare as text" property.
  6. Go!
This is also described in TC's help. Press F1 and select in the TOC: Operation -> Menus -> Menu Commands -> Synchronize dirs -> See a also: Dialog box Synchronize directories. There it is written next to "by Content":
When comparing two files from the file system (not from FTP or archives) a button is shown which allows to choose content plugins for comparison: {...} The internal compare mode [=tc.compare as text] compares two files as plain text like in "Compare by content". Different types of line breaks (Windows, Unix, MacOS) will be ignored.