[OT] How to quickly check file integrity?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Hacker

[OT] How to quickly check file integrity?

Post by *Hacker »

Hi *.*,
I am testing a USB hub with attached external 8 TB drives and it seems the hub causes data integrity problems while copying. Therefore I am looking for a tool that would allow me to check if a 8 TB file was copied successfully or if some bit was flipped somewhere.

A simple hash would be the obvious solution if it wasn't for the fact that:
- it needs to read the whole target file
- it does not show me where and how much of the file was changed.

I would like to use a tool that would:
- only need to read up to the first mismatch (to quickly see if something went wrong)
- tell me approximately where and how much of the file is corrupt (if I decide to investigate further).

Something like Tiger Tree Hash sounds exactly like what I'd want, dividing the data into parts (say 8000 x 1 GB) and computing hashes of each part. This would tell me immediately when it'd find a non-matching block and if I decided to let it read the whole file it could tell me approximately where and how much of the data got corrupted. Unfortunately I did not find any implementation that would work like this, only those that compute hashes for the whole file, just like all the usual hashes (e.g. SHA256).

I've tried HxD but it's perhaps half the speed of a simple SHA256.

I'd appreciate any recommendations for software (running under Windows) or even for other forums where to ask such questions.

Thanks
Roman

P.S.: Yes, I could hack something together in AHK but if there is already a ready-made solution, I'd prefer to give that a try.
P.S.2: I could make 8000 x 1 GB files but that wouldn't really fit what the drive's purpose will be (storing one 8 TB file) so I'd like to test the drive as closely as possible to the way it is planned to be used.
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.