Total Commander Forum Index Total Commander
Forum - Public Discussion and Support

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FS-plugin: VirtualDisk
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> Plugins and addons: devel.+support (English) Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: FS-plugin: VirtualDisk Reply with quote

This plugin allows to mount disk images as additional drives. It works only under systems Windows 2000 and higher (32/64-bit).
One can mount ISO- and some of BIN- and NRG-images of CD, and arbitrary image files that are recognised by Windows (FAT and NTFS), including IMG-files - floppy images. When an image is mounted, there is a new drive appears in the system. Its letter is specified earlier, and the new drive contains all the content of the image file. Three modes
are available:
• HDD — emulation of local hard disk drive.
• FDD — emulation of floppy drive.
• CD/DVD — CD-drive emulation (there is no difference between CD and DVD in the system).
Also there is the "Read only" modifier that allows to disable modifying of the image mounted. CD-drive emulation is always performed in Read-Only mode.

IMPORTANT!!!
For the plugin to work it is needed to install the driver of the virtual drives (the Install command from the context menu of the file VD_Driver\vd_filedisk.inf).
In 64-bit Windows versions the driver installation must be performed from Windows Explorer only!

Plugin / mirror (256 Kb)

Command-line tool:
Tool / mirror (78 Kb, with sources)

Last edited by Flint on Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:35 pm; edited 5 times in total
djk
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Flint
It seems to be a good job. Thanks.
I've tried it and here are some of my first notes:

- It would be good if I was able to see which image is currently mounted. When I have several images copied to Virtual Disks I can't see which one is already mounted, and which is not (the icons could be different). The best it would be if I could also see to which letter of disc it's currently mounted (eg. the mounted drive letter could be added to image file name).

- It shouldn't allow to mount every file. I can copy there anything now (eg. .pdf, .txt files) and mount them. Of course I have no access for such drives but it should just say something like: "Mounting impossible".

- Can I use such mounted images for CD recording, I mean eg. just copy form new mounted Z: to CD?
en.totalcmd.pl
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djk
Quote:
- It would be good if I was able to see which image is currently mounted.

Yes, this is in my plans for future versions.

Quote:
- It shouldn't allow to mount every file. I can copy there anything now (eg. .pdf, .txt files) and mount them. Of course I have no access for such drives but it should just say something like: "Mounting impossible".

This is not so easy as it seems. For example, I want to create a new empty image and work with it. To do so I can create a file with any content, mount it in RW-mode and format as FAT or NTFS. If your suggestion will be released, I will not be able to mount incorrect images and therefore - create new empty image files. It will be necessary to create files that are already properly formatted, this is difficult...
One thing that I could do: restrict copying files with extensions other than ISO, IMG or IMA, but I decided not to do it... Maybe, it will be an option in future.

Quote:
- Can I use such mounted images for CD recording, I mean eg. just copy form new mounted Z: to CD?

Hmmm... I didn't understand what you mean. Explain please, what do you want to write? Change ISO-image, write it on real CD, use newly mounted image as CD-RW and write something on drive Z:, or maybe something else?

Using TC 8.51a / Win7 x32 & x64 SP1
djk
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flint wrote:
Quote:

Hmmm... I didn't understand what you mean. Explain please, what do you want to write? Change ISO-image, write it on real CD, use newly mounted image as CD-RW and write something on drive Z:, or maybe something else?

Let's suppose I have my_soft.img file. And I don't want (or I can't) use in my burning software option "Burn from image". I want to use option "Copy CD". So my question was (I can't just check it myself at the moment): If I mounted my_soft.img as for example Z: drive using your plugin, can I use "Copy CD" option in my burning software to copy from Z: to my CD (eg: E: ). Usually using eg. Demon Tools I can do it.

Another question/problem:

If I mounted an image file as a drive and removed the image form Virtual Disks - I can't dismount the drive? Is computer rebooting the only solution to dismount it?
en.totalcmd.pl
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djk
Quote:
Let's suppose I have my_soft.img file. And I don't want (or I can't) use in my burning software option "Burn from image". I want to use option "Copy CD". So my question was (I can't just check it myself at the moment): If I mounted my_soft.img as for example Z: drive using your plugin, can I use "Copy CD" option in my burning software to copy from Z: to my CD (eg: E: ). Usually using eg. Demon Tools I can do it.

Generally - yes, you can. But there is one feature: if the program that will copy one CD to another will try to get list of CD-drives in system, it can fail in getting drive Z:. The thing is that Z: is not a real system device, it is not present in Device Manager, and therefore, many programs will not find it. For example, WinISO didn't find drive Z: on my Win2003.
I will try to find out how to add new drive into the list of system drives.

Quote:
If I mounted an image file as a drive and removed the image form Virtual Disks - I can't dismount the drive? Is computer rebooting the only solution to dismount it?

Oops, sorry. This is my defect. I've completely forgotten about it. Sad In the nearest version the plugin will ask to unmount this drive before deleting. In the current version rebooting is the only way.
Strogg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: New FS-plugin: VirtualDisk Reply with quote

Flint wrote:

Unfortunately plugin works only under Windows NT/2000/XP/2003.

You will be surprised but plugin operates also under Win98se! Smile
Just for the case I tried it exactly following the instructions in readme. It works OK!
So you can easily add Win98SE for system requirements.
Great job!
Thanks a lot.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Flint
Thanks for the answers, so let's wait for new versions Smile
en.totalcmd.pl
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strogg
Thank you for the test. I even have not tried it under Win9x Smile I'll write in system requirements, that it may work there. The thing is that author of the driver set this limitation, so I think in Win9x it must be used carefully.
JJM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem :
I do not manage to up an image under Win2000 Pro
See file http://14jjm22.free.fr/Virtual_Disk.jpg
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have written in ReadMe.txt not to use Read-only mode - it can get some errors. Use only RW and CD modes. BTW, ISO-images in RW- and RO-mode cannot be read because they use different file system - CDFS and it is not recognisable by Windows as properly RW-disk file system. You should mount CD-images only in CD-mode.
I'll write it in ReadMe.txt in next version.

Using TC 8.51a / Win7 x32 & x64 SP1
JoeyHH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In WinME it does not work as you said. It says path wrong(driveletter z and others), so i could not mount.
Thats a pity Sad
mingyan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can not found server "flint.50free.org"

DNS query error !!! Download fail ...... Crying or Very sad

Any other link ???
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2mingyan
Send me an email and I send you the plugin via email. ( For me works the link fine - I tried it just now again).

sheepdog
JJM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having made the necessaires modifications, new pb:
" The road of acces specifie is untraceable "

http://14jjm22.free.fr/VirtDriveRW.gif

or

http://14jjm22.free.fr/VirtDriveCD.gif
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJM
Try to use correct DOS path to images, for example - C:\CD_EMUL\IMAGE.ISO
Maybe, plugin doesn't like $ sign in paths...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> Plugins and addons: devel.+support (English) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: