RAR Archives

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

rowolta

RAR Archives

Post by *rowolta »

When I open for example a RARED SVCD movie which is like 48 files I can't see all the files in Archives. The .bin file is always in the .rar file but often the .cue file is in the .r48 or something like that. Is it some way to fix this problem?
Helix751

Post by *Helix751 »

This behaviour is (afaik) by design of TCmd's handling of the RAR format. The archived file names only appear listed in the part where they begin physically. This way, you are restricted to operate over and extract only complete files and not just truncated parts of them.

As the files are packed in alphabetical order into the rar file, in your case the big .bin file is stored before the .cue and thus the latter is listed several parts after the beginning of the archive.

A possible solution for your problem: First, create a little rar file with just the .cue, .txt and all the eventually small files and then "add" the remaining image file (.bin) with the necessary disc spanning options.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Sergio

TCmd license #12059
TC11.03x86/x64 | Win11 Pro
rowolta

Post by *rowolta »

Ah ok. Well will it be fixed in a future release?

Thnx for the tip, but I don't make rar archives I just download them ;) Hopefully some one who does, reads this ;>
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

I do not expect this. If one would see the whole content of a multirar archive TC should have to read all parts of it first. That would cause a remarkable loss of performance - what is not desired by many users and the author. Because speed is one of the strenght of TC.

As workaround: You can unpack all files into a temporary folder to see the whole content by pressing [Alt]+[F9] on the *.rar file.
Any other application would have to do the same to show you the whole content - but it will do it automatically and use the predefined temp folder. So you would need the same (temporary) space on HD.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 14-12-2004 11:49:05 +0000 rowolta wrote:

r> When I open for example a RARED SVCD movie which is like 48
r> files I can't see all the files in Archives.

Read this.[/face]
cHiNgaChg00k

Post by *cHiNgaChg00k »

If you want to se all the files in the rar archive you can always ctrl+enter and then enter one more time on the archive file and have TC open it in winrar. Winrar reads the whole archive before popping up, but I love the way TC handles rar archives 8)
rowolta

Post by *rowolta »

Well, thnx for the answers. I got the point :)
Loren Pechtel

Post by *Loren Pechtel »

I see this one is back again.

I find it hard to believe it would actually take that long to find all the files in a multi-part archive.

After all, from it's performance it's obvious that it's not reading the whole file to find the headers. It gets the contents of an archive fast enough that it must be following some sort of chain to where the headers are. That says it knows how big a compressed file is.

That says to me it should be possible to jump ahead to the next header even if it's in a different file.

At a minimum there should be some sort of warning displayed on multi-part archives.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I find it hard to believe it would actually take that long to find all the files in a multi-part archive.
Try accessing partXY.rar on a diskette and see if any program can find all the archive parts... ;)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Loren Pechtel wrote:At a minimum there should be some sort of warning displayed on multi-part archives.
For Arj-multi volume files it's done:
Totalcommander Warning wrote:This is a multi-volume ARJ archive. You can only see and unpack the contents of the currently open part of the archive (however, files stretching over multiple parts are correctly unpacked).

Please use 'Unpack specific files' to unpack from all parts!
"

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams