Feat. req. FTP Support for RFC2640 (Unicode/UTF-8 support)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gabv6

Post by *gabv6 »

Hello,

I'm doing some tests to know if my ftp servers handled unicode filename properly, but unfortunately i found that TC is not supporting these (but my server does :P ). AFAIK with my tests, it seems TC supports fully compliant ANSI standard (the "euro" character works). But what about adding in the options a menu to choose between unicode / ansi character set ? The only ftp client i know supporting unicode characters is SmartFTP (http://www.smartftp.com). It even support fixed-width characters such as japanese kanjis (which take 2 characters width)

But obviously i'd like to use TC rather than SmartFTP when i need to connect my ftp with unicode filenames :)

I can provide an FTP access with unicode filename if the developer of TC (CG, i suppose?) needs one.

BTW: I wanted today to register my copy of TC, but will i have to pay to have updates such one which has the unicode support ? :), if no, i will register immediately, but just to be sure :)

Gabriel
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I wanted today to register my copy of TC, but will i have to pay to have updates such one which has the unicode support ?
All updates to TC have been free of charge to registered users so far. As long as there will be new registered users, Christian Ghisler sees no need to charge for updates.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
gabv6

Post by *gabv6 »

I have just registered :), will it be long to have my license key ?

Gabriel
nevidimka

Post by *nevidimka »

Nice idea. But I suppose TC will not support such a feature in near future because TC is written in Delphi 2 and Delphi doesn't support Unicode by itself (Unicode-support is handmade by the author - see german posting by the author: Bug: Umschalt+F5 und Unicode )
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is a knowledge of our own ignorance. Benjamin Franklin
Clo

So fast---

Post by *Clo »

2gabv6
:) Hello, welcome!

- Normally, no; you might receice the key-file via email under some days, then the back-up of TC 6.06a with the key in a CD some days later…
- Un petit coup d'œil au Forum Français vous aurait renseigné directement :P
{ Just a look on the French Forum could give you an answer today…}
:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
gabv6

Post by *gabv6 »

Ok :)

In fact i thought the english forum was more frequently read than the french one, it's my reason on posting in english... I don't know which is the native language of the author since Swiss speaks German, French, Italian, and a fourth one "Roman" (?) :mrgreen:

Gabriel
Clo

Small but fast !

Post by *Clo »

2gabv6
- The French forum is certainly the smallest, but very reactive ! And be sure that the Author knows French, though his mother-tongue is German; it's the first mandatory language to learn after the native one in Swizerland…
Moreover, I'm connected here almost 24/24 _ 7/7… and some others too.
:mrgreen: K R
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Nice idea. But I suppose TC will not support such a feature in near future because TC is written in Delphi 2 and Delphi doesn't support Unicode by itself
No, Delphi isn't the limit here - I do support Unicode file names (but not dir names) already, so adding UTF8 FTP should be possible in principle. The problem is that I don't currently have any encoding conversion functions in ftp, so I will have to change a lot of functions to get this work. The demand for such a function hasn't been very high yet, so I have concentrated on other additions like thumbnails view first...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
mikequ

Post by *mikequ »

ghisler(Author) wrote: The problem is that I don't currently have any encoding conversion functions in ftp, so I will have to change a lot of functions to get this work.
Which must be painful :-)
The demand for such a function hasn't been very high yet, so I have concentrated on other additions like thumbnails view first...
If I may add my 5 cents: I am from Poland, I use TC all the time, but there's only one thing that makes me cry about TC: no UTF support in FTP.

I have to move files around three Linux servers, all based on Redhat distros (RedHat 9 and FC3). They all use UTF-8 by default which is so great (because it solves problems with Polish letters on Linux). And as far as I know, the trend to use UTF-8 on Linuxes will only get stronger (so you can imagine that a lot of FTP users will start experiencing problems with that).

In may case, the boxes are both Samba and FTP servers, so users within company network use all kinds of stupid names one can imagine (special signs, Polish discritics, lots of spaces in names etc.). There is no way I can force them (users) to use "normal" (7-bit ASCII) filenames, just to make my work easier.

And my problem is: I can upload a file or two with their names changed (to 7-bit), but there's no way I can upload a tree (with - say - 100 files). Right now, after uploading a file, I have to SSH to the server and rename it via bash, so the users can see it in their SMB directory listings.

By the way, to solve the problem I thought about buying SmartFTP, but event this app can't handle UTF-8 dirs with spaces and Polish signs...

So, PLEASE consider assigning this issue a bit higher priority than thumbnails :-)

Regards

Faithful WC/TC user

Michal
gabv6

Post by *gabv6 »

I agree, and my need of UTF-8 support is of the same kind :)

Up! :)
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

I'm supporting utf-8 over ftp feature.