Tabs: Locked but dir changes allowed - what's its purpose?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Tabs: Locked but dir changes allowed - what's its purpose?

Post by *wanderer »

What is this entry in the tabs rightclick menu? What is the purpose of having a locked tab but dir changes are allowed (in both directions)? Just to have an extra message box to prevent its accidental deletion? I'm a little dissapointed by that.

UPDATE:
From help: "New type of locked tab: still allows to change dirs, but reverts to tab-root when clicking "\" or switching to other tab."

I take it back. It looks better than having a "one-direction" locked tab. I'll just give it some time. I'm not too sure about the "switching to other tab" part but the "\" is a good one.
Last edited by wanderer on 2005-01-19, 12:43 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Raymond

Post by *Raymond »

Try ctrl+\.
klark

Post by *klark »

@Raymond

Da you mean Ctrl + <? At least in the german version it is this shortcut.
Raymond

Post by *Raymond »

I mean "ctrl"+"\".
Suppose you lock a tab stand for folder A, then switch to folder B under the same tab. Press Ctrl+\, you will go back to folder A.
I like this new lock way.

I guess german version should behave the same?
klark

Post by *klark »

@Raymond

It's the english keybord-settings, that makes the difference between "\" and "<". With the german keybord-setting, it is strg + <.

I like the new Tab-behaviour very much, too! Very happy about it :D
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Yes, its a nice behavior after all. Good work Christian. Still not too sure about the "switching to other tab" part though. I also like the double SHIFT+F6 for renaming.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

2wanderer
Thanks I've not noticed how double SHIFT+F6 works before.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

wanderer wrote:Yes, its a nice behavior after all. Good work Christian. Still not too sure about the "switching to other tab" part though. I also like the double SHIFT+F6 for renaming.
I'm mising a little bit the CTRL + \ keystroke though. I wish CTRL + SHIFT + \ would take you to the actual root path of the drive you're in.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Raymond

Post by *Raymond »

wanderer wrote:I'm mising a little bit the CTRL + \ keystroke though. I wish CTRL + SHIFT + \ would take you to the actual root path of the drive you're in.
There're 2 commands
cm_GoToLockedDir
cm_GoToRoot
You can freely make yourself comfortable.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Possible bug with cm_GoToRoot

Post by *wanderer »

Raymond wrote:
wanderer wrote:I'm mising a little bit the CTRL + \ keystroke though. I wish CTRL + SHIFT + \ would take you to the actual root path of the drive you're in.
There're 2 commands
cm_GoToLockedDir
cm_GoToRoot
You can freely make yourself comfortable.
...which do exactly the same thing! :shock: :)

Thanx for the tip. I've setup a shortcut (CTRL + SHIFT + BACK since i could not find "" in the keys list) for cm_GoToRoot. The problem is that in a tab locked with dir changed allowed, cm_GoToRoot functions the same way as cm_GoToLockedDir! Perhaps this is a bug? Anyone else confirms it?
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2wanderer
The problem is that in a tab locked with dir changed allowed, cm_GoToRoot functions the same way as cm_GoToLockedDir! Perhaps this is a bug? Anyone else confirms it?
You can control this behavior. Set LockedGoToDriveRoot=1 in the Configuration section and cm_GotoRoot will navigate to the drive root. Why? Some people want to use the same hotkey to go to the drive root for not locked tabs and to go to the tab root for locked tabs.
szlori

Post by *szlori »

wanderer wrote:Still not too sure about the "switching to other tab" part though.
Change dir in your locked tab, switch to another tab, then switch back to your locked tab.
TADA! You're taken back to the tab's root.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

2 Lefteous, szlori
Lefteous wrote:2wanderer
The problem is that in a tab locked with dir changed allowed, cm_GoToRoot functions the same way as cm_GoToLockedDir! Perhaps this is a bug? Anyone else confirms it?
You can control this behavior. Set LockedGoToDriveRoot=1 in the Configuration section and cm_GotoRoot will navigate to the drive root. Why? Some people want to use the same hotkey to go to the drive root for not locked tabs and to go to the tab root for locked tabs.
Aaaahhhh, that's better. :) Thanx. The only problem now is that i have to change all these settings in all 3 PCs i have. Perhaps Christian shouldn't alter all these default settings. Perhaps the default behavior should be in 6.50 as it was in 6.03 and another keystroke should lead to GoToLockedDir (i.e. CTRL+SHIFT+\). Anyway, IMO the whole thing has become a little complicated now but at least it's better than before.
szlori wrote:
wanderer wrote:Still not too sure about the "switching to other tab" part though.
Change dir in your locked tab, switch to another tab, then switch back to your locked tab.
TADA! You're taken back to the tab's root.
Thanx for the help. I already knew that though :) . With "Still not too sure" i meant that i'm not too sure if it is a useful or a nerve-breaking feature. I must say now i believe its not that good. Is there a way to disable it?
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

2wanderer
i'm not too sure if it is a useful or a nerve-breaking feature.
It is depend on habit. ;) For me it is only useful tab type.
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

2wanderer

Mind, you do not have to disable it. Just don't ENABLE it and you will never get your "nerves broken".
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm