Do you want an icon competition?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

How should we decide on new icons in TC?

With an icon design competition.
41%
By using the icons from user "StickyNomad" as a base.
27%
By hiring a professional designer. Please make suggestions below.
9%
Other (please specify below).
2%
I don't care, the current icons are OK.
21%

Total votes: 91

qda

Post by *qda »

i only use tabs and the drivebuttons anyway, and when i used the button bar i just used my homemeade icons

so i voted that current are good... i'd rather see other stuff about TC get worked on :) not graphics :P

but thats just me

PS. DONT CHANGE THE MAIN ICON, I LOVE THE BLUE FLOPPY! if you change it i'll be forced to change it back somehow!
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

so i voted that current are good... i'd rather see other stuff about TC get worked on not graphics
2qda
That is the point, that others would work on the icons, while Christian would continue to work on important improvements!
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, that's correct!

Now let's see what icons would be needed:
- all the drive icons
- icons from totalcmd.exe: for folder, empty file, program, updir, archive, link
- all in wcmicons.dll: reread, dir tree, tree view, brief, full, sort by name, ext, date, size, unsorted, inverse sort order, reverse selection, select all, programs, all files, sub-bar, return from sub-bar, ftp, url, back, forward, control panel

What additonal icons would be needed? I would suggest only the most important:
- pack
- unpack
- compare
- properties
- synchronize dirs
- multi-rename tool
- search
- show comments
- show thumbnails
- quick view

What do you think? Did I forget any important function which would need an icon?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Maybe, Lister? As for me, it looks quite good in current variant, but who knows if it will suit the possible future set of icons...
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:What additonal icons would be needed?
Additional to your suggestion Christian I have the following lists (I won't be sad
if the secondary list doesn't make it but the frequently one includes commands
I virtually use nearly every day):

Frequently used (individual user need do apply here though):
- branched view
- subdirs space (Alt+Shift+Enter)
- turn on/off hidden files
- save selection
- restore selection
- save current position
- configurations

Secondary importance (that is of course a personal interpretation):
- copy filenames with full path to clipboard
- split/combine file
- system commands (i.e. my computer, printers, fonts, desktop etc.) - maybe as a subbar to save some space
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

pdavit
system commands (i.e. my computer, printers, fonts, desktop etc.)
Maybe, it's better to take them directly from system? (not manually, of course...)
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Alternatives:

1. ALL internal commands should be included
2. If 1. is not possible only exchange the default icons in totalcmd.exe, get rid of that WCMICONS.DLL and put all icons you think are worth to be included in a separate ICL that can be easily UPDATED by the users or better said the developer of the icon set.

If you are really interested in what users' "most important commands" are, prepare a poll with all internal commands to get an overview, it's rather pointless to do that in a thread 'cause after 50 postings all internal commands will have been mentioned.
Maybe, it's better to take them directly from system? (not manually, of course...)
Yep, this would be WAY better, at least under modern OSes. I really have no need for TC displaying folder icons if shell32.dll and registry keys are there to tell TC what icons to use. But the proposals have not been very successful unfortunately.

Icfu
This account is for sale
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Flint wrote:Maybe, it's better to take them directly from system? (not manually, of course...)
You are right! That IS better! :oops:
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

icfu wrote:If 1. is not possible...
It's only theoretically possible since we are talking about designing over 300 icons!

This is a colossal task and even "graphics-oriented" applications don't have a separate
icon per internal command.

I don't believe a poll about which internal commands should be included is necessary.
Gathering up opinions by posts here is enough to make a general decision since that's
the idea behind a default icon layout, i.e. to cover typical and widely acceptable
functions as being frequently used and let the user further configurate his/her individual
needs. The default TC setup should include just those icons that are widely acceptable as
being popular based purely on common sence including also some that follow some standards
even if not popular or frequently used (e.g. help, configurations etc.)
Last edited by pdavit on 2005-03-12, 17:45 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Yep, I know that it's not possible to include all at once, that's why I mentioned point 2. :)

It's important that we have everything in one place so the ICL can be expanded later without waiting for the next TC release, that's the point. I'd like to see a standard ICL library where every command has its predefined place, so designers know where to put their stuff and the user can simply exchange the library without having to adjust the paths in his buttons.

This would be the right time to think about deeper changes to TC, to extract icons from registry and system without that "-r or -s has to be set first" option and to create standards for the future. It won't be done again I am afraid, this is sad because it would make things so much easier.

Anyway, I see no reason why we desperately need icons for sorting by name, size, etc... when even standard Explorer users know that they can click the column headers for sorting, why should anyone push a button for that?

Icfu
This account is for sale
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

Almost a month since last post here. Any progress?

I on my side, have contacted Jono from Foood's Icons (http://www.foood.net/) who
have shown some interest and he should be contacting Christian any time soon.

This is his excellent contribution for WinRAR: http://www.rarlab.com/themes.htm

Just a reminder of some more willingness I received while v6.50 was on development
from the following developers:

- http://www.marvilla.us/

- http://cgi.glyphlab.com/php/gl/index.php
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

For the moment I have postponed this, the legal problems are just too big. What if someone steals icons from some other project and presents them as his own? No, the risk is just too high, better keep ugly icons...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

What about StickyNomad's icons?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:For the moment I have postponed this, the legal problems are just too big. What if someone steals icons from some other project and presents them as his own? No, the risk is just too high, better keep ugly icons...
All the above mentioned developers are professionals where you actually buy the license not just their efford
of development. If you check their web sites on previous works you'll see some very well known contributions.
The GlyphLab for example created icons for Endorphin an application used for creating the visual effects for
the movies Troy and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Everything is done professionally, by the
book and without any licensing implications. On the other hand, everything comes with a price which in some
times can be very high. It's your call Christian anyway.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

This was also suggested by the XnView author: http://www.softidentity.com/home.php

He did though comment negatively over the high pricing.