PE Viewer 3.0

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

iteg

Re: PE Viewer 3.0

Post by *iteg »

2TychoBarfy, thanks for the translation.
But you saved the file in ANSI encoding, but it should be in UTF-16 LE like other localization files. Because of this, some words are misspelled.
Size = Größe, but from file = GrцЯe.
Binary Text = Binärer Text, but from file = Binдrtext.
items = Eintrдge
And so on.
Could you check the translation again and resave the file in UTF-16 LE?
Last edited by iteg on 2023-11-29, 15:02 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
iteg

Post by *iteg »

2Fla$her, thanks for the suggestions.
In my opinion, one of the tasks of the plugin is to do at least no worse at all stages than in the previous analogue. Focusing on the explorer interface is a wrong idea, IMHO.
The PEViewer 3.0 codebase has been completely redone, so it is no longer PEViewer 2.0.
I'm using a standard tree component. A single click on the node icon allows you to collapse and expand. Also, double-clicking on the text of a node collapses and expands. I looked at the utilities from Microsoft, and they all work with a double click. Therefore, single click is a non-standard behavior that may confuse other users.
I see that the plugin now selects the color for the two modes itself, which, of course, conflicts with the current TC color settings.
The implementation of "Dark Mode" introduced many problems. In the current implementation, the colors are specified in the code. Over time, I plan to change it to read colors from wincmd.ini.
I also observe new symbols to indicate sorting on active tabs. I think we need to find something prettier.
Due to the implementation of "Dark Mode", the arrows on the component have to be drawn manually.

I'm currently working on compatibility with Windows XP.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

iteg wrote: 2023-11-29, 14:55 UTC Therefore, single click is a non-standard behavior that may confuse other users.
How? In practice, this is more convenient.
The implementation of "Dark Mode" introduced many problems. In the current implementation, the colors are specified in the code. Over time, I plan to change it to read colors from wincmd.ini.
You also need to be careful with this, because in zebra (BackColor/BackColor2) everyone chooses their own background option for plugins. If you implement zebra, as in the listed plugins, then this will solve the problem.
Due to the implementation of "Dark Mode", the arrows on the component have to be drawn manually.
I would like them to be arrows, not arrowheads. :)
And it is better to place them on the left, as in TC, or on the right, using the full height of the tabulators.
I'm currently working on compatibility with Windows XP.
Good.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
TychoBarfy

Post by *TychoBarfy »

iteg wrote: 2023-11-29, 08:07 UTC 2TychoBarfy, thanks for the translation.
But you saved the file in ANSI encoding, but it should be in UTF-16 LE ...
Fixed (German lang file for PEViewer 3 now UTF-16 LE BOM)
iteg

Post by *iteg »

2TychoBarfy
Added.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2iteg
Question about support of its INI file, redirection section in wincmd.ini.

The plugin comes in the archive, which for some reason does not have its own INI file,
containing ALL supported sections/variables with their commentary, with boundary values
for selection/input. As an example for future users editing!
As a result, it is not possible to pre-install this plugin in the TC assembly so that the desired
behavior can be PRESET.
For example, immediately set the language X, quickly tell the plugin - DO NOT use lsplugin.ini,
immediately set the position of some separators/colors ... well, etc.

It is also unclear whether the plugin supports the redirect-section wincmd.ini.
It seems to be after experimenting that the plugin generally ignores this fact,
which is certainly not a correct action. I.e. I want to see the INI from the plugin
exactly and only in some 3rd folder "INIs", but in fact it is still generated next to
the main plugin's file...

Yes, in the Readme file there is some information on both of these issues,
but it is sketchy and does not give FULL understanding and understanding in
the answers to the above "clarifications and questions" asked.
#146217 personal license
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-12-04, 12:44 UTC As a result, it is not possible to pre-install this plugin in the TC assembly so that the desired
behavior can be PRESET.
For example, immediately set the language X, quickly tell the plugin - DO NOT use lsplugin.ini
Are you aware that after selecting "Don't Use lsplugin.ini" from the "Settings" menu, PEViewer.ini will immediately appear in the plugin folder?
AntonyD wrote: 2023-12-04, 12:44 UTC It is also unclear whether the plugin supports the redirect-section wincmd.ini.
It seems to be after experimenting that the plugin generally ignores this fact
The plugin doesn't yet read anything from wincmd.ini to support redirection.
That's when there will be support for color settings from the Colors and ColorsDark sections, then it will become relevant.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Are you aware
The plugin doesn't yet read anything from wincmd.ini to support redirection.
I didn't find out the sequence of actions after which this file ended up there, but I clearly want to be able to control this behavior BEFORE the plugin's GUI window opens and I get the access to the settings. In other words, this INI-file should ALREADY be part of the plugin's archive - in its folder and contain everything I have already described. So that we can set the desired settings IN ADVANCE.
And if it turns out that this is not there yet - then I described it in time - perhaps by the next release the behavior of the plugin and its INI file will become more consistent.
#146217 personal license
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Then it will contradict the presence of the "Don't Use lsplugin.ini" option itself. It will become useless, or it will have to be redone to "Use lsplugin.ini".
Overquoting is evil! 👎
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Then it will contradict the presence of the "Don't Use lsplugin.ini" option itself.
HOW???????
It's just that if this option is set in a PRE-configured INI file, then it will simply be displayed in the GUI! And that's all.
And immediately in the switched-on state. And this is just the opposite - it will only enhance the logic of the pre-configuration.
#146217 personal license
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

See the end of the message. It would be correct to use the suggested name without "Don't", as is most often accepted in the settings.
Options with "Don't" should not be checked by default. This is a matter of priority.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
iteg

Post by *iteg »

2AntonyD
1) Changed the lsplugin.ini usage parameter to UseLSPluginIni. Previously, this setting was read and written to the registry. Now from the PEViewer.ini configuration file.
2) Added a description of the settings menu parameters to the help.
- ActiveTab=ctInfo - default value. The name of the active bookmark. Valid values: ctInfo, ctImport, ctExport, ctHeaders, ctResources, ctSignatures, ctCLRHeader.
- RememberActiveTab=True - default value. Whether or not to remember the active bookmark.
- Language= - default value. Plugin localization languages. Valid values: empty value - internal English, English, Belarusian, Deutsch, Russian, Ukrainian.
- UseLSPluginIni. If UseLSPluginIni=True, then the lsplugin.ini file is used to store the plugin parameters (the "Total Commander" configuration file for WLX plugins, the location is specified by the user), otherwise the PEViewer.ini file in the plugin folder is used.
If the PEViewer.ini file is missing, then the option UseLSPluginIni=True.
If the PEViewer.ini file exists, the UseLSPluginIni value is read. If there is no parameter, then UseLSPluginIni=False.
3) Redirection from wincmd.ini is not implemented.
4) I will add PEViewer.ini to the plugin archive in order to clear the configuration file of old parameters due to the renaming of the parameters and controls.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

iteg wrote: 2023-12-05, 17:22 UTC4) I will add PEViewer.ini to the plugin archive in order to clear the configuration file of old parameters due to the renaming of the parameters and controls.
Be careful with this approach. Upon plugin installation/update all files are extracted from the archive, (potentially) overwriting every file in the plugin directory - including files/settings made by the user. I suggest to add PEViewer.sample.ini or similar instead. That's what I do with my plugins. This way all settings are available to users interested in modifying INI files directly, and no files created/changed by users are overwritten.

Some plugins do it like this: They include a plugin.sample.ini in the archive and, upon loading the plugin, copy that sample file to plugin.ini if it doesn't exist.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
iteg

Post by *iteg »

2Dalai
Thanks for the advice.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2iteg
You missed my message.