I got an problem with an ISO and ISO v1.7.9 (from the TC addons section)

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DRP535

I got an problem with an ISO and ISO v1.7.9 (from the TC addons section)

Post by *DRP535 »

I've happened across this weird result in looking at one particular ISO and am wondering if this is a result of the authoring of the ISO or from the way it's being read by the plug-in. The ISO when written using Rufus, outputs as perfectly normal English language files as you would expect, however, when looked at through ISO 1.7.9 in TC, it looks like the below…

Image: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ipk70zjkfe6669efnx87n/Last20.2020.02.png?rlkey=vswgiv41nvzeu3ud3vki1fows&raw=1

To be fair, I've never seen this sort of thing before with any other ISO of any kind. This is a perfectly unique example for me. Can anyone explain what's going on? The reason I'm asking is because the ISO has a tiny error in it that could be fixed by the replacement of one single file, however, this is very hard to do when you can't read Chinese and have no way of navigating to the correct location to find the offending file needing replacement.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Re: I got an problem with an ISO and ISO v1.7.9 (from the TC addons section)

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

You cant replace files inside an iso image like in a rar-archive.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

I know
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

My guess is that it uses Unicode big endian like MacOS does instead of little endian like Intel does, which would reverse the bytes and change English letters to some other codepage. The ISO plugin is quite old, so it probably doesn't support that specific format.

I suggest that you use the Total7zip plugin instead of the ISO plugin to open ISO files.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

I think you're right. I've just received this information…
ISO's are UDF or a variant of it, meaning many command line ISO readers wont display the correct content, whilst using ones that do support it will work as expected. The reason being as many ISO formats are capped at 4.7GB and these are bigger than that.

As you say, the plug-in is very old from 2013, so not surprising really it doesn't work anymore for everything that's out there. I shall give Total7zip a go as replacement in this case and see if that can handle it.

Edit: fixed. Total7zip for handling ISO solved the problem.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

The size of ISO files isn't the problem. The ISO plugin can't deal with the ISO9660:1999 specification which adds support for long filenames (up to 207 characters). I've had the same thing many years ago when building BartPE ISOs which is done via mkisofs --iso-level 4:
Level 4 officially does not exists but mkisofs maps it to ISO-9660:1999 which is ISO-9660 version 2.

With level 4, an enhanced volume descriptor with version number and file structure version number set to 2 is emitted. There may be more than 8 levels of directory nesting, there is no need for a file to contain a dot and the dot has no more special meaning, file names do not have version numbers, the maximum length for files and directory is raised to 207.
Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror