Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

TGeRi

Re: Android 14 and lost access to /Android/data

Post by *TGeRi »

This is a shame from Google. :(
stranno

Post by *stranno »

Yep. You just get an stripped version of Android Files explorer that cannot give any kind of rights to third-party apps. It happens exactly the same in Amaze.

Regular Files browsing can display those folders, but it wont allow third party explorers to do so.

Every day that passes, Android gets closer to iOS.
mjakobi

Post by *mjakobi »

Hi there,
I'm on TC 3.5 with a Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra on Android 14.
Had similar problems to access folders under /android/data on my device.
My goal was to simply copy a folder for an app called MyBible from my old device to the S24 to transfer all settings, bookmarks and modules. I wasn't able to do it with TC but I found two ways around the limitation.
First one is to connect the device over USB to a computer and access the folder /android/data on the device. At least through Windows Explorer on Win 11 I had read/write access to the folder on the phone.
The second solution involves an app called "Marc Files" that has to be installed on the phone e.g. from Google Playstore (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.marc.files). As far as I understand this does not install an app but adds a shortcut to a filemanager that already exists on the phone but is somehow hidden.
Once installed there is an additional icon "Files" (or "Dateien" in German). When started it looks similar to the app "Eigene Dateien" (German, not sure what it's called on english devices) but has write permission to the folder /android/data.
If you need to copy files from another folder, start the app and navigate to the folder in /android/data where you want to copy your files to.
Then tap on the three dots in the upper right corner and choose "New window". You'll see two instances of the Files-App in the recent apps then. Open one of them in "split view" and choose the other one as the second window of the split view. Then navigate to the source folder in one of both and simply drag and drop the desired files / folders to the window that shows the destination folder.
Found this solution with some additional information on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQuestions/comments/192vfjt/is_there_a_way_to_access_the_datadata_folder_in/

Hope this helps.

Regards -- Markus