newbie question re: explorer replacement

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

janrif

newbie question re: explorer replacement

Post by *janrif »

Hello group, Newbie here - searched for answer & looked thru FAQ & probably missed it but is there a setting that replaces Explorer with Total Commander? TIA
JanRif
Ridgefield, CT USA
Vansumsen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vansumsen »

Welcome janrif

Please have a look here

Fiendly
Paul
Ouistiti, #11943

L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

If you mean running TC as a shell, the answer is No.
If you mean changing double click behaviour on folders on desktop and the like it is of course possible.

Adjust the path, keep the double slashes, save as TC.reg and double click:

Code: Select all

REGEDIT 4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell]
@="Total_Commander"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Total_Commander]
@="Total Commander"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Total_Commander\command]
@="X:\\Path\\To\\TOTALCMD.EXE /O /S /L=%1"
Regarding the available parameters see TC help section 4a.

Edit: Ah, too slow. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

And if you don't like it you can remove it with the following reg-file:

REGEDIT 4

@=-
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Total_Commander]
sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
janrif

Post by *janrif »

Vansumsen wrote:Please have a look here
Thanks to you & everyone for your welcome & responses to my post. I reviewed all the msgs &, on principlE, don't think a user should have to mess with the registry to get what I want to happen. If it can be done that way -- as someone suggested -- it might be included as an option: replace Explorer, yes? no?

I don't know if any of you agree w this but that's my .02 w/o really understanding all of Total Commander'a possibilities.

Currently I use DOpus but was frustrated because it wouldn't/couldn't automatically recognize some logical drives I have connected via a USB hub -- something that Total Commander does out of the box.

I guess I can't have it all.

Thanks very much for your help.
JanRif
Ridgefield, CT USA
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Whats wrong with registry settings? (Nearly) each program writes into the registry.

And if you save icfus an my code you'll have the possibility to set and reset these settings by on doubleclick.

sheepdog
Douglas Adams
janrif

Post by *janrif »

Sheepdog wrote:Whats wrong with registry settings? (Nearly) each program writes into the registry.
absolutely nothing except that people like me who really don't understand the ins & outs of registry settings can easily screw up their entire machine by making a mistake. Nothing wrong w the information.
JanRif
Ridgefield, CT USA
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I don't know if any of you agree w this but that's my .02 w/o really understanding all of Total Commander'a possibilities.
I agree that Directory Opus is much more comfortable for the users, I am regularly using it myself, but due to its "DO can do it all" approach the users have less possibilities to optimize it (and less fun).

The feature could of course be integrated but a simple "replace checkbox" would not be enough due to the flexible command line. You would either need to offer an additional edit field where command line parameters could be entered or you would need to create checkboxes for every parameter, too.

Total Commander stores all of its settings in INI files, this is one of the points why many users like TC but it also means that some features will probably never be implemented in opposite to Directory Opus which makes intensive use of the registry anyway so noone cares about it.
Total Commander in opposite to Directory Opus is targetted at professionals and they prefer non-intrusive programs.

In the end the registry files serve exactly the same purpose and you have the big advantage that you can check what will be changed and you can revert the changes without leaving any traces.
absolutely nothing except that people like me who really don't understand the ins & outs of registry settings can easily screw up their entire machine by making a mistake.
This is only true if your assumption is that WE want to destroy your registry. Don't believe everything that Microsoft tells you. The problem is that you have to trust either Directory Opus to do it right (it could destroy your registry as well due to a minor bug) or you have to trust the Total Commander community that they do it right.
You can be sure that you cannot destroy anything with the registry files above if you know how to copy and paste.

Icfu
This account is for sale
janrif

Post by *janrif »

icfu wrote:
I agree that Directory Opus is much more comfortable for the users, I am regularly using it myself, but due to its "DO can do it all" approach the users have less possibilities to optimize it (and less fun).

The feature could of course be integrated but a simple "replace checkbox" would not be enough due to the flexible command line. You would either need to offer an additional edit field where command line parameters could be entered or you would need to create checkboxes for every parameter, too.

Total Commander stores all of its settings in INI files, this is one of the points why many users like TC but it also means that some features will probably never be implemented in opposite to Directory Opus which makes intensive use of the registry anyway so noone cares about it.
Total Commander in opposite to Directory Opus is targetted at professionals and they prefer non-intrusive programs.

In the end the registry files serve exactly the same purpose and you have the big advantage that you can check what will be changed and you can revert the changes without leaving any traces.
absolutely nothing except that people like me who really don't understand the ins & outs of registry settings can easily screw up their entire machine by making a mistake.
This is only true if your assumption is that WE want to destroy your registry. Don't believe everything that Microsoft tells you. The problem is that you have to trust either Directory Opus to do it right (it could destroy your registry as well due to a minor bug) or you have to trust the Total Commander community that they do it right.
You can be sure that you cannot destroy anything with the registry files above if you know how to copy and paste.

Icfu
JanRif
Ridgefield, CT USA
janrif

Post by *janrif »

icfu wrote:The feature could of course be integrated but a simple "replace checkbox" would not be enough due to the flexible command line. You would either need to offer an additional edit field where command line parameters could be entered or you would need to create checkboxes for every parameter, too.Icfu
ok, well all I have demonstrated is my ignorance of how TC actually works but I take your point.
icfu wrote:[snip]Total Commander stores all of its settings in INI files, this is one of the points why many users like TC Icfu
That probably goes for me, too but I have to learn more about 'ini' file settings. <not too techie as you can tell>
icfu wrote:[snip]In the end the registry files serve exactly the same purpose and you have the big advantage that you can check what will be changed and you can revert the changes without leaving any traces.Icfu
So I guess you are telling me that working the registry is better than working an ini file. If so, ok. What can I say? It still makes me nervous. Lack of confidence because I don't have the knowledge necessary for comfort.
janrif wrote:[snip]people like me who really don't understand the ins & outs of registry settings can easily screw up their entire machine by making a mistake.
icfu wrote: This is only true if your assumption is that WE want to destroy your registry. Don't believe everything that Microsoft tells you. The problem is that you have to trust either Directory Opus to do it right (it could destroy your registry as well due to a minor bug) or you have to trust the Total Commander community that they do it right.Icfu
Of course I *don't* think you (plural) want to detroy my registry. And, logically, you are right about MS & DOpus, as well. If you took my comment as a personal comment, it was not meant to be.
icfu wrote:You can be sure that you cannot destroy anything with the registry files above if you know how to copy and paste.
Well, then maybe I'll try it but if I manage to screw up my registry, will you travel from Europe to Ridgefield CT to fix it? <G>

Bottom line, thanks for taking the time to respond to my post(s)
JanRif
Ridgefield, CT USA
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

So I guess you are telling me that working the registry is better than working an ini file.
Nope, but you have to modify the registry if you want to change the folder behaviour, you cannot do this with INI files. In the end the registry is not really different from an INI file. The big differences are that you have a tree view and you can create subsections but if you know how to edit an INI file you know how to work with the registry as well.
Well, then maybe I'll try it but if I manage to screw up my registry, will you travel from Europe to Ridgefield CT to fix it? <G>
Of course I won't. ;)
As life is always a risk you should do a backup if you are unsure. Imaging applications like Ghost I can highly recommend if you are doing modifications to the registry you don't trust.
Bottom line, thanks for taking the time to respond to my post(s)
You're welcome. :)

Icfu
This account is for sale
janrif

Post by *janrif »

icfu wrote:
So I guess you are telling me that working the registry is better than working an ini file.
Nope, but you have to modify the registry if you want to change the folder behaviour, you cannot do this with INI files. In the end the registry is not really different from an INI file. The big differences are that you have a tree view and you can create subsections but if you know how to edit an INI file you know how to work with the registry as well.
OK I am ready to try this out but please be very exact w me as I don't know what I'm doing.

I am working on a w2k-sp4 machine

1) how do I make a good backup of the registry? And where do I put it?
2. exactly where do I paste the info you have supplied
3) exactly where do I paste the info to remove the folder action if I don't like it?

So you see what a newbie I really am.

Thank you.
JanRif
Ridgefield, CT USA
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

janrif wrote:OK I am ready to try this out but please be very exact w me as I don't know what I'm doing.

I am working on a w2k-sp4 machine

1) how do I make a good backup of the registry? And where do I put it?
Icfu didn't talk about a backup of the registry but of the whole system partition. That for you need an imaging software as ghost or acronis true image while acronis supports a 15 days trial. This is not a recommendation but a hint what you'll have to look for.
You will not only need a backup-image but also an recovery-boot medium that will be provided by the imaging software. Because if your system is down you'll have to boot the imaging software (e.g. Acronis boot CD) and write the image back to your harddisk. After this your system will be restored.

Since it is always good to have a up to date backup of your system partition - because you don't need to meddle with your registry to screw up your system - you will not need necessarily a backup for this maipulation.
With both regfiles you are able to do the manipulation and change it back without a trace.

2) exactly where do I paste the info you have supplied
3) exactly where do I paste the info to remove the folder action if I don't like it?
Open a text editor (as notepad) in your system. Copy the following text:

REGEDIT 4

@="Total_Commander"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Total_Commander]
@="Total Commander"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Total_Commander\command]
@="X:\\Path\\To\\TOTALCMD.EXE /O /S /L=%1"

and paste it inot your text editor. Than save it as "TC.reg".
Open a new empty file in your texteditor, copy this:

REGEDIT 4

@=-
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Total_Commander]
into it and save it as "TC-off.reg"

Remember the place where you saved both files (maybe you choose the TC program folder because it's TC-related).

the TC.reg file will create a new registry entry to make TC as default when opening folders. The TC-off.reg will remove this entry if you don't like it.

The only thing you'll have to do is to doubleclick at one of the files and confirm that the information should be put to the registry.

sheepdog
Douglas Adams
janrif

Post by *janrif »

Sheepdog wrote:[snip]Open a text editor (as notepad) in your system. Copy the following text:[/snip]
Thank you very much for your total patience. I find this list very pleasant and helpful unlike some other lists I have been on. Because of that alone I will be licensing 'Total Commander'.

As for the registry entries, I think I did everything right, i.e. copy/paste text file 1, copy/paste text file 2, save separately in 2 *.reg type files. Then dbl click #1 to insert code into registration. This was confirmed.

From this I should expect to be able to click on a folder & have it open in TC instead of explorer/Dopus. Is that correct? If not what new behavior should I expect as this was my understanding.

On a separate matter, I have d/l a number of plug-ins, know how to un-pack them but don't know how to install them into TC.

Thank you again.
JanRif
Ridgefield, CT USA
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

janrif,
On a separate matter, I have d/l a number of plug-ins, know how to un-pack them but don't know how to install them into TC.
Since TC 6.50 you can install plugins by simply pressing Enter on them. For instance you might have wdx_Image_Info_1.41.zip, and when you press Enter on it, TC asks you if you want to install the plugin contained in that archive. If you click yes, TC suggests a path automatically (you can change it if you wish) and shows a dialog of all plugins of the selected type, where you can change their priority, etc., but that's another issue.

If you have more questions about this, please start a new thread.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.