Remembering Synchronize Dialog Size/Pos Depends on Drive Selected

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AlanC

Remembering Synchronize Dialog Size/Pos Depends on Drive Selected

Post by *AlanC »

In a fresh install of TC 11.02, when I bring up the Synchronize Directories dialog, it doesn't seem to remember any dialog size change, unless one of the sides is looking at Drive C: root. I've never had this issue before.
AlanC

Re: Remembering Synchronize Dialog Size/Pos Depends on Drive Selected

Post by *AlanC »

In further investigating, it also seems like when I try to change settings I get the error message "Error writing: \TotalCommander\winini.ini!" I can imagine both these symptoms are the result of the same issue.

It doesn't seem to be remembering that winini.ini is on drive C, just expecting it's on the current drive.
AlanC

Post by *AlanC »

Went back and reinstalled, selecting C:\totalcmd as both install directory and location of settings, being sure to include the drive letter in both. It now seems OK.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It sounds like you had entered a relative path without drive letter for the ini file:
\TotalCommander\winini.ini
This means that Total Commander can only write to that file when a directory TotalCommander exists on the current drive, and it depends on the current drive to which of the files it writes - which is of course useless. Changing the ini file directory to C:\totalcmd (or to C:\TotalCommander) would indeed fix it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AlanC

Post by *AlanC »

I agree. Just as a nice-to-have, TC might warn users against making this mistake.