why Delphi 2.0?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Jungle

Post by *Jungle »

Alextp wrote:I tried these TNT controls - they work under Win9x and under NT, Unicode support works only under NT.
Do you mean that unicode support doesn't work on Win9x even with Microsoft Unicode Layer installed?
Alextp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Alextp »

2Jungle
I didn't ever tried that "Microsoft Unicode Layer", I don't know. In description of TNT controls it's not written.
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

i think there are still some paying users of this version
How many ? 5, 10, 100 ?
And how many of those paying 32bit version not having Unicode ? 100 ? 1000 ? 10 000 ?

Question:
Do you think that work on 16b version delays work on 32b version thus favorizing much much smaller group against larger one ?
Habemus majkam!
gigaman

Post by *gigaman »

Jungle wrote:
Alextp wrote:I tried these TNT controls - they work under Win9x and under NT, Unicode support works only under NT.
Do you mean that unicode support doesn't work on Win9x even with Microsoft Unicode Layer installed?
There's nothing like "with MSLU installed".
MSLU is just a simple DLL that you ship with your application. Your application is compiled as fully Unicode internally, but instead of calling Windows API functions directly, you link it against this MSLU DLL. When running on NT-based platform, this DLL simply passes the calls to the corresponding Unicode API functions. When running on Win9x, the DLL converts the arguments to ANSI and calls the ANSI versions of the API functions. (Well, it's probably a little more complicated, e.g. Windows messages have to be translated as well, but that's basically how it works.)
So, there's no Unicode support on Win9x, with or without MSLU. MSLU just makes it possible for you to build a single executable that runs on both platforms, without having to check the OS version before every API call and choosing the right API function every time.

TNT controls are similar to MSLU; you use all strings as Unicode internally in your application, and when they are passed to a Windows API function (in TNT code), TNT controls check the operating system and convert them to ANSI, if necessary.
Jungle

Post by *Jungle »

2gigaman
i'm ashamed once again. i've read an MSDN article and realized i misunderstood some things.
MSLU is just a simple DLL that you ship with your application.
i'm not sure i should provide my app with such a library. especially if it's free. imagine every app using .NET would contain .NET Framework. What a horror! Although MSLU dll is quite small it doesn't mean my app package should contain 'unnessesary' modules.
MPS

Post by *MPS »

majkinetor ! wrote:
i think there are still some paying users of this version
How many ? 5, 10, 100 ?
u'd have to ask christian about that. i recon more than that.
And how many of those paying 32bit version not having Unicode ? 100 ? 1000 ? 10 000 ?
where's the connection?
:Do you think that work on 16b version delays work on 32b version thus favorizing much much smaller group against larger one ?
i dont think christian's time spent on 16b version is significant.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

i dont think christian's time spent on 16b version is significant.
Indeed it's mostly a simple recompile. Some features like the tabs are simply excluded from the 16-bit version, since they would take too much memory anyway.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ado

Post by *ado »

[slightly OT]
when disussion about Delphi is goin on here....did you noticed this?

[Borland] Announces Plan to Divest IDE Product Lines

Once they changed their name to Inprise and then they found that it was not that bright idea :-)
MPS

Post by *MPS »

i never switched to inprise - borland was, is and will be borland :]