Help with the Java API

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ibiBgOR

Help with the Java API

Post by *ibiBgOR »

Hello there,
Im new in coding for the Totalcmd.
I have learned to code in Java, but it isn't as well as I hoped it would be.
I had an idea for a plugin, but I can't find a "simple" tutorial for making a Java plugin. It should be an WFX Plugin, and I have to use Java, because I use another API, which only support Java.
So could anyone give me a short intro, so I can start to work for my plugin.
Your ibibgor
iana

Post by *iana »

See
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/tc_java.html
Java in TC is a bit of a headache and most users avoid java based plugins.
ibiBgOR

Post by *ibiBgOR »

Yeah I know this Site for sure, but I don't even know how I turn the Code into a wfx file. Could anyone explain this to me?

But thanks for your answer and I'll keep that in mind, but this should become a Plugin just for some Users I know.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

ibiBgOR,
As I see, all Java plugins use same WXX (same binary for all interfaces) stub (renamed into PluginName.wlx in case of lister plugins) as TC-to-Java bridge that calls your java classes. Please refer to documentation (if available) for details (I can't tell you more 'cause I don't need this, I just downloaded a sample to look what is it).
meisl

Post by *meisl »

Hey ibiBgOR,

have you succeeded in your endeavor and/or are you still interested in writing plugins in Java?

I have just looked at and tried out http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/tc_java.html. It looks interesting and quite understandable to me and I think I will try some on my own.

If you like we could exchange experiences and possibly help each other.
meisl

Post by *meisl »

Hello again everybody,

I've since had a closer look at tc_java and started writing a content plugin, for starters.

EDIT: moved rest of this post to "Let's make writing Java plugins fun!", which is a proposal for making tc_java better.