[REQ] Background size calculating on Ctrl+L

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

[REQ] Background size calculating on Ctrl+L

Post by *Flint »

Sometimes I need to calculate size of some very large folder(s), and of course, this takes a very long time. And during this time I have to do nothing or to start another copy of TC to continue work. I know about the possibility to press Alt+Enter and look the size there, but this is not always convenient.

My suggestion is to move size calculating to a background thread; during the process a non-modal (but always visible!) dialog with current progress can be shown; after the calculating is finished, this dialog displays the result: the same as the currently implemented Ctrl+L dialog. I think, that would be a very good addition for v7.0, and it seems to be not very difficult to implement.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Do you know about Lefteous DirSizeCalc Plugin?

I know it's not exactly what you want, but it could be used as workaround, I think.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Yes, I know, but it's not what I need. I need to calculate only some folders (most often - only one single folder).
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64