English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

LAME mp3 vs  FAAC aac
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=12981

Conclusion for those who don't want to read: aac is garbage for now.
Gabriel (5 years in Lame developing) wrote: MPEG natural audio standards (like mp3 or aac) are only defining the bitstream and the decoding, but not the encoding.It means that different encoders can encode in a different way, with different efficiencies.
It is like books authors and language. MP3 is using an old language, and some encoders are making good use of this language, as if an author was able to produce a very nice book.Now, you have a new language (aac) which allows you to express more subtle variations of concepts and wording. You know it is more powerfull, but book authors do not know it enough yet to be able to produce better books than with the old mp3 language.However, you know that when they will learn more and practice more the new language, they will be able to produce better results than with the previsou one.
This is just a simple transposition of things, but things are similar with mp3 and aac. AAC is more prowerfull and more efficient in theory. But the results are quite dependant of how the encoder is using the standard.
BTW, I am quite sure that AAC at 128kbps could be way better than mp3. It just needs a few more time.

link: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t22521.html
Habemus majkam!
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Another great feature of ExactAudioCopy is its built-in glitch removal tool, which actually really works :shock:

With one of the vast amount of CDs I grabbed with it, EAC reported 'possible error in Track 3, pos. 02:54, Track 5,...'

After listening to the ripped songs there were indeed ugly dropouts at the stated positions. After letting EAC correct this with one click, the songs were clean as a summer breeze.

The only little annoyance about LAME is its speed (especially when encoding VBR), as I have 'only' 1,4 GHz machine and encoding takes quite a time. But its quality overrides this little disadvantage easily. A real dream would be an encoder with the quality of LAME and the speed of the good ol' Xing encoder (shipped with Audiocatalyst), which is lightning fast, but its sound quality sucks.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

StickyNomad,
The only little annoyance about LAME is its speed (especially when encoding VBR), as I have 'only' 1,4 GHz machine and encoding takes quite a time.
LAME 3.97 beta 2
-V 2 --vbr-new --noreplaygain
encoding is 6.9x realtime (play/CPU) on Duron 1,1 GHz

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2Hacker
Thanks for that update and info. I didn't check for new versions quite a time and surely will test it!