Plug-in Installation?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

davekurz

Plug-in Installation?

Post by *davekurz »

I'm a brand newbie, and have run a search on this board for "plug-in" and"plugin" with zero results.

When I try to install a plugin like the *back2life for TC* unerase feature, I'm told to go to configuration --> options --> operations --> FS-Plugins. But the last-named option is not on the menu.

Is this because I have not yet purchased/registered Total Cmdr?

Thanks for the help!
If the experience is painful, it's much better to learn from somebody else's.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2davekurz
Hi and welcome!

You don't have to register to use plugins. TCs evaluation version is fully functional.

The option you seek in the config dialog is under configuration->options->plugins, not under operation.

But the easiest way is just to open the archive (Enter, Dblclick) containing a plugin in TC. Then the installation procedure should start automatically.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I'm a brand newbie, and have run a search on this board for "plug-in" and"plugin" with zero results.
Searching for "plug-in" or "plugin" gives several thousand results, you are doing something very wrong.
When I try to install a plugin like the *back2life for TC* unerase feature, I'm told to go to configuration --> options --> operations --> FS-Plugins. But the last-named option is not on the menu.
Make sure that you install Total Commander from this site. Starting from TC version 6.5 you only have to doubleclick a plugins archive and it will autoinstall.
Is this because I have not yet purchased/registered Total Cmdr?
Nope, the only difference is the 1, 2, 3 box.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

FS-Plugins. But the last-named option is not on the menu.
FS-Plugins is a button on the left side of the dialog. It is beside the option "Calculate space occupied by subdirectories".
But the easiest way is just to open the archive (Enter, Dblclick) containing a plugin in TC. Then the installation procedure should start automatically.
That is an older Plugin and I doubt that there is already a valid pluginst.inf for the automatic installation.

BTW this is a crippleware plugin that would not help in case you need it because it is restricted to IIRC 64 Kb-files. Try to use Restoration instead. Although it is a separate tool it's free and by the feedback of forum members realy good in restoring data.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
davekurz

Post by *davekurz »

Solid. TY Both

I'd searched in an inappropriate page.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@Sheepdog:
That is an older Plugin and I doubt that there is already a valid pluginst.inf for the automatic installation.
Have you downloaded the archive from totalcmd.net? It contains a pluginst.inf...
BTW this is a crippleware plugin that would not help in case you need it because it is restricted to IIRC 64 Kb-files.
This is wrong, the only restriction is 15 seconds nag screen but I agree that it's very annoying and Restoration is way better.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

icfu wrote:Have you downloaded the archive from totalcmd.net? It contains a pluginst.inf...
BTW this is a crippleware plugin that would not help in case you need it because it is restricted to IIRC 64 Kb-files.
This is wrong, the only restriction is 15 seconds nag screen but I agree that it's very annoying and Restoration is way better.
Oh sorry, I referred apparently to an older version (indeed Back2Life for TC 2.1). But when I tested it I were so disappointed that I never looked for a newer version.

So I apologize for the out of date information.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
davekurz

Post by *davekurz »

Thanks again, people.

Apparently the installation of 6.54a had not replace the icon in the toolbar, so I was invoking an earlier version.

Changing the shortcuts revealed the sidebar with all the appropriate goodies.

I take it that you folks regard totalcmd.net as cool?
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

davekurz wrote:I take it that you folks regard totalcmd.net as cool?
Yeah, totalcmd.net is cool :)
davekurz

Post by *davekurz »

Thanks very much, everyone.

And Total Commander is also very cool. Reminds me of a very souped-up Norton Commander. Of course.