[Suggestion]Show default hotkeys in config

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

KevinMo

[Suggestion]Show default hotkeys in config

Post by *KevinMo »

Suggestion:
When redefine hotkeys in configuration dialog, show the default commands instead of "Default command (no remapping)".
This way user would be easier to know wether a hotkey is occupied by default settings.

For example, when define Ctrl+F1, show something like
"[Default]cm_SrcShort"
or
"*cm_SrcShort (Source: Only file names)" and add a little comment below saying "commands with leading * is defined by default"
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Support.++

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Support!
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Well I support this, though I posted in one of the threads recently to make the Keyboard mapping dialog more like Xnews. Which shows all the keys mapped and in an easily scrollable interface.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
djorge

Post by *djorge »

Support!
Personal License #117854
KevinMo

Post by *KevinMo »

Seems it's not a bad idea :D
Hope Mr. Ghisler would consider it.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Me raise hand, too. That would be a nice enhancement.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It would indeed be nice, but neither I nor Total Commander have an overview of the key mapping! Why? For some hotkeys, I don't check if a specific modifier key (Shift, Ctrl, Alt) is pressed or not, because it's not relevant. So the command may actually work with two or more hotkeys, although only one is defined.

When I added custom hotkeys, I had to decide whether I wanted to leave it this way, or define all hotkeys via the same custom table. I decided not to change it, because many users may be using these unwanted hotkeys, and would have to learn other hotkeys.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

From my point of view this suggestion is good based on the current hotkey management. The problem is that the current hotkey management is almost unusable. A suggestion based on such a system doesn't make sense.
I never heard a user saying: "Ah Ctrl+G! Let's assign another command to it." It works vica-versa. Choose a command first then choose a desired hotkey.
This approach requires a hotkey conflict handling performed by TC but thousands of other programs are able to do this...
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

we all know hot keys are the worst part of TC ! It can be just a little bit more bad only if hot keys are droped...
Habemus majkam!
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

So instead of fixing a flaw||bad behaviour, leave it in a convoluted state just so a couple people that have gotten used to the bad behaviour of hotKeys aren't inconvenienced.

So if we want hotKeys to function properly we have to go use something like AHK and define them all in there.

Makes sense eh?
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
I don't check if a specific modifier key (Shift, Ctrl, Alt) is pressed or not, because it's not relevant. So the command may actually work with two or more hotkeys, although only one is defined.

When I added custom hotkeys, I had to decide whether I wanted to leave it this way, or define all hotkeys via the same custom table. I decided not to change it, because many users may be using these unwanted hotkeys, and would have to learn other hotkeys.
We should anyone press Alt+Shift-F10 instead of Alt+F10 to display the directory tree (beside the user has defined it explicitely)?