TC 7.5 beta 3 bug report (firefox 3.5 problem)

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Goldentime

TC 7.5 beta 3 bug report (firefox 3.5 problem)

Post by *Goldentime »

When I am surfing in the firefox 3.5 beta 4 portable, TC 7.5 beta 3 pops up a window, and here is the report:
---------------------------
Total Commander
Access violation at address 7C93B21A. Write of address 00000010.
Please report this error to the Author,
with a description of what you were doing when this error occurred!
Continue execution?

Windows exception: C0000005

Stack trace:

7C93B21A 00413DDC 77D18732 77D18814

77D3E1AB 77D2A011 77D2A037 004429ED

00413DDC 77D18732 77D18814 77D189CB

77D2A439 77D196C5 00419395 0041A2FE

004193C0 0041957A 006931C4 7C817075

7C81707E
Press Ctrl+C to copy this report!
是(Y) 否(N)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for your bug report. I don't currently see how Firefox could influence Total Commander. When exactly do you get this error? When switching from TC to Firefox? Or the other way?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2Goldentime
Does it happen for any page you are viewing or i.e. heavy ones?

I can see occasional errors with Opera 9.64 and Flash pages when I want to close my browser. In my case: Opera crashes with message and after few seconds - TC gives AV error. Mostly reproducable before system shutdown. I could never reproduce it without Opera so I assumed that rather Opera gets into TC memory space than strange TC bug appearing. I am not sure it's true but that is how I understand it :)
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Goldentime

Post by *Goldentime »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Thanks for your bug report. I don't currently see how Firefox could influence Total Commander. When exactly do you get this error? When switching from TC to Firefox? Or the other way?
To be honest, I can't remember exactly what I was doing then. :?

It seems that I was using Firefox, then switched to TC to find a file for a short time, and then switched back. At this time, TC popped up an error window.
Goldentime

Post by *Goldentime »

fenix_productions wrote:2Goldentime
Does it happen for any page you are viewing or i.e. heavy ones?

I can see occasional errors with Opera 9.64 and Flash pages when I want to close my browser. In my case: Opera crashes with message and after few seconds - TC gives AV error. Mostly reproducable before system shutdown. I could never reproduce it without Opera so I assumed that rather Opera gets into TC memory space than strange TC bug appearing. I am not sure it's true but that is how I understand it :)
Yes, I was viewing multiple pages then, and one of them had a lot of javascripts, and refreshed frequently. I don't know if this is the problem :?
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

2Goldentime
It's just a wild guess about bug in Firefox which can "spread out" to other applications. Unfortunately, TC was a victim ;)
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

's just a wild guess about bug in Firefox which can "spread out" to other applications.
How can an OS allow an app to to crash another one? This would be quite a crappy OS.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

2Lefteous
Honestly I don't know but what would be the other reason of my "Opera case"? Sometimes, at the end of the day: I close Opera, close TC and after deciding to close Windows I have Opera error info and TC AV almost right away. I don't think it's TC fault because it never happens when there is no Opera. I had also few problems with unpacking big RAR archives when my browser was in background (CRC errors). I had thought it's RAM problem but Memtest (and few other tools) shows nothing wrong with it. Switching Opera off before unpacking solves CRC problems.

Well, I'll try to catch TC error message next time, if I will be quicker than shutdown procedure.

PS. I might be wrong about one app crashing another but how can we hear about "getting control of someone's PC on memory leak" if it's not possible for one application to intercept another?

Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

2fenix_productions,
I have programs conflicting with one another a lot anymore. Usually I get a hold of the author and together we figure out what is going on. It's bound to happen the more stuff you use. If you think Opera 9 is bad, try Opera 10 beta. That is a whole new experience in not getting along with other software and web sites.
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license
ouzoWTF

Post by *ouzoWTF »

But Opera 10 is still an Alpha ;)
Beta will come in a few days I hope. But with the new skin included! :D
If you have a way how to reproduce, I can check that too with Opera 10.
Single User Licence #201763
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

I was thinking alpha and typed beta. My bad. ;)

User of Total Commander
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

[OT]
2Boofo
I've stopped using test versions of Opera when 9.x appeared. Since then even stable builds occasionally show strange errors. I've never had any problems before that and I could never see any error. Even the most "popular" bugs with alphas were not reproducible on my PC. It had been very strange but stopped working this way. It is sad but I feel my browser went (and is still going) down in the terms of quality but I find it better than other browsers despite that.

"Hope for the best be prepare for worst". I am slowly looking for other browser lately and will switch if 10 appears personal disaster ;)

Same applies to Miranda IM…
[/OT]

Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

[OT]
2fenix_productions
Yes, Opera 10 leaves a little to be desired at times. But it is Fast! And it has the option to Mask FF and IE. I have IE8 on stand-by. ;)

I was using Digsby and then went back to Trillian with the new Astra. (I am a registered user of the old Trillian so the upgrade was cheap.) Digsby started out good but has gone down from there it seems.
[/OT]

User of Total Commander
ouzoWTF

Post by *ouzoWTF »

[OT]
I see that I have found a group of people using the same software (Opera, TC, Miranda) I do. :D
But when I see one of you in the Executor-Forums, I will start to feel paranoid for sure. ;)
[/OT]
Single User Licence #201763
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe it was an out of memory problem? Firefox 3 is consuming a lot of memory here, and 3.5 is said to use separate processes for all tabs, which will increase the memory usage quite a lot...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com