invisible files on Server2008R2

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

M.Stark

invisible files on Server2008R2

Post by *M.Stark »

Never seen such a problem before, but today, after installing the OPK for server2008 R2, I found that my TotalCommander could not see the freshly installed sysprep.exe in c:\windows\system32\sysprep\ while explorer was able.
Updated the firstly used version 7.0 to a current one, run it explicitely 'as Admin' (account was Admin itself, but to double check). But still could not see one file and one folder that explorer was able to see (and to run incase of sysprep). Even search (tc) could not find it
If anyone has any idea...
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, M.Stark.

I bet your Windows 2008 R2 server is 64bit. Total Commander is a 32bit programme. You are experiencing the side-effects of Microsoft's wonderful automatic folder redirection implementation.

Ways to work around it:
Search this forum for the string sysnative, please.
Starting with Vista 64bit, 32bit programmes can work around the automatic redirection by using %windir%\sysnative.

Kind regards,
Karl
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, Christian.

Please, consider this bug report closed for two reasons:

Though it is not very obvious, if you do not simply know about the WOW64 tricks, but even using Total Commander 7.50a it is possible to work around the WOW64 automatic folder redirection: cf. On 64-bit Windows versions, some files and folders shown by Windows Explorer are not shown by Total Commander!, please.

Total commander 7.55 pb1 makes the hidden folder names visible which allow 32-bit applications to access the real 64-bit system32 and other 64-bit system folders. cf. some folders are shown as empty in TC but exist in Explorer.

Kind regards,
Karl