Strange GUI delays

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

If only I could reproduce it - I'm using an old Pentium III with 866 MHz for development to see any slowness immediately, and I cannot see any such delays. :(
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
cobian

Post by *cobian »

Sorry by hijacking this thread, but I was searching info about a similar problem and I found this thread.

I am the author of a backup utility (Cobian Backup) that is written in Delphi as well. Version 10 is written in Delphi 2010 (unicode) and up to version 9 it was written using the Ansi version with TNT Unicode components+ using directly the W Api functions.

The case is that I am receiving the same complain from some of my users about the program copying much slower than it did in the same machine in version 9. I myself cannot reproduce the issue either. Version 10 is faster on all the tests machines that I am using. The copy procedure is based on CopyFileEx. One of the users that is experimenting a slow down send me a process monitor log and there are a LOT of calls to "C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace\server name" before, after and during the copy of a single file. I can't understand the reason of those repeated calls either and I'm not sure who is to blame here.

C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace\, if I recall it correctly is used for caching and synchronization of a machine in the network.

Those of you who are experimenting this problem in TC: is your machine on a network environment and are you using folder synchronization with some server path?

Perhaps this would set Christian(and me) on the right path to solve this weird issue.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't think that this is related. CSC is used for "make files available offline". Windows caches remote files in these subdirs to make them available when the connection to the server isn't available. I guess that this caching causes the slowdown in your case.
cobian

Post by *cobian »

I'm don't think either that this is related somehow, but the strange thing is that the same thread I use in D2010, when compiled with D2007 doesn't cause those extra calls. I need to check the implementation that Embarcadero is using in 2010 in some SysUtils functions I heavily use to see if something has changed there.

The hard part is that there is no way *I* can reproduce that issue on my machines (sigh)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I'm still using Delphi 2 with my own Unicode implementation, so I don't know whether it's related or not. But maybe it's just the difference between CopyFileExA and CopyFileExW?
zhal

Post by *zhal »

A quite similar problem at me: when a file opened (with default external viewer) and is still open (e.g. picture or text file) the speed and response time is ok.

When the file is closed (with or without saving), te TC gets frozen for a few seconds (1-2?). It is quite annoying to wait for a time while I can do 2-3-4 file operation.

Is this the same problem, or an other? Dell Optiplex 270 with XP and 1,75G.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, that's the typical behaviour of some virus scanners which scan files when they are being closed.
xikinho

Re:

Post by *xikinho »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2010-04-20, 16:36 UTC If only I could reproduce it - I'm using an old Pentium III with 866 MHz for development to see any slowness immediately, and I cannot see any such delays. :(
Just out of curiosity, do you still using the Pentium III?

By the way, I am a developer and I still use legacy hardware! 8)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Strange GUI delays

No, that was 2 generations before my current PC.
After the Pentium III, I used a first generation Intel Core i5-760 for about 10 years (initially with 4GB RAM, later increased to 8GB).
Then I switched to a Core i7-11700 and 32GB RAM because I needed to test on Windows 11.

I still use the Pentium III for tests, just recently to test a ZIP library.