"Show" > "Tree" still needed?

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

I also think the entry for the 'old' tree should be kept.
I myself use it quite rarely, but others may have get used to it and use it more frequently.

In addition, removing this one single entry wouldn't increase clarity that much IMHO...
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

StickyNomad wrote:In addition, removing this one single entry wouldn't increase clarity that much IMHO...
Let's talk again in 5 years or so, when there is probably much more clutter ...
Why not tidy up things as soon as possible?

Regards, Juergen
My add-ons and plugins for TC: NiftyLink, mbox, Sequences
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

The has been a request a while ago to split the view menu into filter, sort and view. This would be a huge progress IMHO.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Lefteous wrote:The has been a request a while ago to split the view menu into filter, sort and view. This would be a huge progress IMHO.
It might look more organized but i think it's quicker the way it is now. Some "filter", "sort" and "view" disabled menu entries at the top of each section might improve things a little.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2wanderer
Hm, nice idea, but this would make the menu even longer.

I consider the current 'show'-menu to be quite OK, although I'm not against changes, as it is indeed a bit long.

To split this menu into 3 different menus is a good idea, but I fear that there would be too many entries in the main menu bar then.

Another possibility would be to add sub-menus to the 'show'-menu for 'filter' and 'sorting', but I'm not sure it this really would be a suitable way...

Code: Select all

show
-----------
filter >
sorting >
-----------
brief
full
comments
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2StickyNomad
Although it depends on the context of use from my HCI experience I can say that more entries on the main menu are better than submenus or long menus (now) in most cases.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2Lefteous
Hm, after thinking a bit about it, maybe two more main menu entries would indeed be not too much.

This would make 9 entries in the main menu which is not too much under usability aspects. As I learned so far concerning navigation ergonomics, a list of not more than about 5 to 9 entries is considered to be easily and fast detectable by a user. So I think splitting the menu could be feasible indeed, although I won't force it.
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

In the meantime I realized, that it's not possible to perform usual operations (such as rename, copy, drag and drop) on folders in the new "separate tree".
Since this is possible with the old "[Ctrl][F8] tree", this is for me personally the main reason why the old tree currently is still needed.
However, IMHO the new tree should be improved ASAP in order to remove this inconsistency.

Regards, Juergen
My add-ons and plugins for TC: NiftyLink, mbox, Sequences