[REQ] overwrite wincmd.ini options via commandline

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DACO!

[REQ] overwrite wincmd.ini options via commandline

Post by *DACO! »

First of all: Thanks to C.Ghisler for great improvements in version 7!

I've got an feature request: I would like overwrite some options defined in wincmd.ini via commandline at start of TC.

Example: I'm working as normal user (with my standard wincmd.ini). Some times I need some more priviledges and launching TC via LaunchTC or
commandline. I wanna have same settings as normal user except for example the background color (or some other).

The only workaround I know is to have two different ini's and to sync options in the 2 files manually.

For me it would be a great enhancement to call

Code: Select all

totalcmd.exe /i wincmd.ini /options BackColor=15329769;BackColor2=15329769 ...
Perhaps there is a chance to implement in a future release of tc7?

DACO!
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2DACO!

Maybe this can be of use for you:
28.02.06 Added: wincmd.ini: In each section, an entry RedirectSection= will instruct tc to redirect(or not) this section to other ini: Values: 0=no redirect, 1=redirect to AlternateUserIni=, <ininame> redirect to that specific ini
DACO!

Post by *DACO! »

2StickyNomad

Sounds interesting so I could try using environment var to differ between normal users options and priviledged users options.

But it isn't comfortable when running from USB stick, because in my case unpriviledged (normal) users name will differ from machine to machine.

DACO!
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I support the idea to override only a few configuration settings using the command-line. I would use a slightly different approach. Instead of defining the changes values directly in the command-line a new parameter should be introduced which let the user define an ini file location which contains _only_ the changed values. These settings are used instead of the settings in the actual Wincmd.ini.
DACO!

Post by *DACO! »

2Lefteous
Instead of defining the changes values directly in the command-line a new parameter should be introduced which let the user define an ini file location which contains _only_ the changed values. These settings are used instead of the settings in the actual Wincmd.ini.
You're right, using commandline could very confusing when changing more than one or two params.

DACO!
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

OK just one clarification. It would be ok to limit this feature to certain sections. History sections doesn't have to be supported. If the author is interested I'll gladly create a list of required sections.

Another idea. Settings below certain sections or whole sections could be undefined. For example

Code: Select all

[-PackerPlugins]
7z=95,%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\7z\7zip.wcx
would temporarly deactivate the plug-in for this section - no matter what is done during the session as the setting in Wincmd.ini is ignored. I have to admit that this is mainly intresting for testing and developing but for this tasks it would be a great help.