[REQ] Two small Lister feature requests

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

lalonso

[REQ] Two small Lister feature requests

Post by *lalonso »

1. A Go To Line function for text mode, even notepad has this!
2. A shortcut to reopen the file with the default F4 editor, so when you decide you need to edit a file you're viewing in lister you don't have to close windows and re-find the file.

TC7 is looking great so far, but these two small things would make it even better!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

1. A Go To Line function for text mode, even notepad has this!
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=9805

You have to realize the difference between the lister and Notepad. "even Notepad" is just an inadequate comparison. Notepad is an editor, lister is a viewer which can preview files of any size without any delay.

Are you aware of lister plugins? If you need line numbering, you can use Syn for example:
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/syn.html

If you only need a viewer you can try Scintilla Lister (needs SciTE installation though):
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/SciLister.html
2. A shortcut to reopen the file with the default F4 editor, so when you decide you need to edit a file you're viewing in lister you don't have to close windows and re-find the file.
There is an AHK script for that:
http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/AutoHotkey:_Start_Notepad_In_Lister

Icfu
This account is for sale
lalonso

Post by *lalonso »

I'm not interested in line numbers, that would not be practical.

However, going to a specific line in a file is similar algorithm-wise to doing a find, so it wouldn't be much of a stretch. It doesn't have to be instantaneous for large files. As for comparing it to notepad, obviously they're very different - lister is my favorite Total Commander feature, mainly because it seeks around the file instead of loading it all into memory.

As far as AutoHotKey goes, I'm aware things like that exist, wanting to install them on my machine is another matter. If it was a plugin, maybe, but Total Commander's strength comes from not needing to install 30 external programs to do simple file management.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I have linked a thread above, please take the time to read it.

No matter if you display line numbers or not: They have to be calculated for a Goto line feature! But, calculating line numbers for monster files without creating an index for future reference which will then enable Goto line without any delay (ListXP supports that!) I would call a gimmick and unworthy implementation.
As far as AutoHotKey goes, I'm aware things like that exist, wanting to install them on my machine is another matter. If it was a plugin, maybe, but Total Commander's strength comes from not needing to install 30 external programs to do simple file management.
I am tired to explain advantages permanently, that's why a link is in my signature to the AHK section in TC Wiki.
You don't need to install AHK, there's an archive available.
You can compile your scripts to Exe.

TC's strength is the plugin system but plugins are "installed" as well. AHK can save your time in a second, for some internal solutions you have to wait months or years, maybe forever. This is why I use AHK. Not because I am against internal solutions but because I prefer to solve problems yesterday, not tomorrow. ;)

Good luck

Icfu
This account is for sale
Raymond

Post by *Raymond »

[OT]
2icfu
Just noticed your signature and got the WCMD_ENG.LNG file.:D It's the latest one, right?
I agree that TC setup package should include this file.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

It's the latest I know at least, taken from a posting of ghisler in a thread buried somewhere in the TC 7 forums now. ;)

Nice to hear that the link serves its purpose – but I was sure he does. Thousands of discriminated English speaking users don't even know that they can adjust the strings, because the English language file has always been so damned hidden as if it was the Holy Grail... :)

Icfu
[/OT]
This account is for sale
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

[OT]
Just a little addition. ;)
icfu wrote:It's the latest I know at least, taken from a posting of ghisler in a thread buried somewhere in the TC 7 forums now.
It's not buried too deep however. ;)
Additional languages for TC7 beta 1
[/OT]
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

You are a spoilsport. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale