ACE vs. RAR: Default settings for external packers

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

ACE vs. RAR: Default settings for external packers

Post by *tbeu »

I have got the external packers RAR v3.51 and ACE32 v2.04. Both packers use compression level 3 (= Normal) as default. But packing with default parameters for ACE32 results in level 5 (= Best) compression whereas I need to set the -m5 switch for RAR in the pack dialog to get the best compression. I do not consider this as consistent pack behaviour. Is there any chance to reset the default pack parameters in TC?

Thanks from tbeu
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

To my knowledge, you can set the default RAR compression level in a configuration file (ini file). Any RAR users here who know the exact options to set?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
norfie²
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie² »

RAR default setting can be done with an evironment variable: SET RAR=-m5
or with rar.ini in the same directory like rar.exe. Plz Read the Fabulous Manual.
"War is evil, in so far as it makes more bad people than it takes away."
Immanuel Kant in "Perpetual Peace"
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

Thanks. I use the rar.ini with

Code: Select all

switches=-s -m5
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

After using TC for ages now I am still learning. You can set the packer switches in the packer configuration dialog as mentioned here. I was not aware of this feature until now. Maybe it is shortcoming of TC help.
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

After using TC for ages now I am still learning. You can set the packer switches in the packer configuration dialog as mentioned here. I was not aware of this feature until now.
New one for me too.

And in addition to that, switches are also acepted into the packer dialog box. Very nice.